Role Play With Me For A Moment

Let's pretend that I am your adult daughter. I have always blamed you for everything that is wrong in my life whether or not it is your fault. I somehow had gotten a hold of your SS# and started a cell phone plan for my husband, child, and myself in your name. I stopped paying the bill and it messed up your credit. You were hurt by this (emotionally and financially) but you could not bring yourself to press charges because I am your daughter and you believe that it would be wrong. You are trying to get a house now but because of the phones it isn't happening. I live kind of far away and since you work all the time you don't really have time to visit. This does not stop me from complaining that you never visit and I still say mean things about you even though you do not deserve it.

My question is would you bother to come around often after all this has happened?
(To be clear this did not happen to me but someone I know)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'd make a special trip and pay you a visit so that I could beat the tar out of you. Then I'd come back home, get my life back together, and tell you that until you grow up and get a freaking clue to leave me alone.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't - this behavior is unacceptable. Until she cleans up her act, leave her alone. Any contact you have with her will encourage her to take more advantage of you. I would also report her for identity theft. She obviously doesn't care enough about you to care what she does to you. You need to protect yourself and your life from her negative influence.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i agree with the 1st woman.i would take a visit to tell you about yourself and fix your ass.then i would get my shit together.i would take her ass to court too because she's grown and knows what she did was wrong.fu** that soft crap, tough love baby!
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would make a visit to get my money, even if it meant kicking your ass. I would have also pressed charges against you for identity theft. You are a grown person and know better than to get credit in someone else's name and ssn and stop paying the bill. Then I would stay away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I personally would have a hard time giving up on my daughter and our relationship no matter what. If I were this mom I would know more about the situation....Is the daughter mentally ill or did they have a really rough time at some point that the daughter is still holding against the mother? If there were real issues I would try to deal with them and heal the relationship. Sometimes things have to be acknowledged before they can be brushed aside. If the daughter has mental health issues I would try to help her. If she wouldn't get help, I would keep in touch anyway but I would limit the contact to short, sweet visits hoping that some day she would accept the help. This girl should pay the cell phone bill so the mother can get her credit back to good standing....and that is a fact.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• the phone thing could have been disputed on the credit report and the house deal COULD have gone through. Would I visit? IDK, I don't visit my adult kids now and they didn't do anything wrong like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• YIKES!! A similar thing happened to me, but it was my mother stealing the money and credit, AND I did press charges, because I couldn't let her ruin my life because she has issues. She is now getting help for her addictions, although she is no longer a member of my life.
    mumof2wins

Answer by mumof2wins at 6:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Make her pay you back. File a complaint remark on your credit report. all three of them and then place a block on your credit report so she can't do that again. It is worth it.. I have been there. That way if she hits your credit again, you will be notified. Call all three credit agencies and place the hold on your account. She hates you because she hates her life and that is her problem and life. All we can do is raise them.
    gritsmom481

Answer by gritsmom481 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009