Can this be forgiven?

Something you aren't sorry for. Someone tells you it's a sin, but you're not sorry you don't feel it is. So if you ask God for forgiveness, even though you're not truly sorry, are you still forgiven?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 1:52 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I understand, if you are not truly sorry, no you will not be forgiven.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'm no expert on the matter, but no I don't think it will be forgiven if you are not truly repentant. That woudl be like me stealing something from you and saying sorry even though I didn't mean it. That's just my opinion.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:57 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree but doesn't Jesus say all things are forgiven. how can that be there are sins we do everyday that we aren't aware of. So in my reasoning we are not forgiven of those or the ones we aren't sorry for cause we don't feel they are wrong.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:12 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Let me put it in other words.... would you forgive someone... even though you know that person is not sorry?... I believe that everything can be forgiven and I mean everything if you know that the other person really regrets it... but if you know that the other person is not really sorry how can you trust again?... well that is what I think. :)
    Avy1930

Answer by Avy1930 at 2:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• He also says this... Matthew 18:35"My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart. ( I encourage you to read the whole chpt in context.

and in Mark 11:25"Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions.

26["[a]But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions."]

These are referring to known sins.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• depending on the heart.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 2:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Can this be forgiven?
    ~~~~~
    can the fact that you asked for forgiveness when you didn't mean it be forgiven; is that what you mean?
    Because someone told you that what you did was a sin and you did not feel conviction; but asked forgiveness anyways?
    Either way you were not sorry and you asked for forgiveness. God sees and hears all and if you asked forgiveness just to make another happy; then I believe you wasted your breath and time.
    However, you can go back and make it right and there is always a forgiving Father.
    But, the next time don't let others play the Holy Spirit with you and make you feel convicted if it really was not a sin.
    Hope that made some sort of sense.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 3:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• no
    sagehoney

Answer by sagehoney at 5:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If you truly want forgiveness, then that would mean you truly repent, and then that will be forgiven and God will not hold you accountable for it in the Spiritual sense (you still could have earthly repercussions...)

You can also be forgiven in the sense that God loves you, and doesn't let your sin stand in the way of that love, though since you have not repented of it, you are still responsible for it in the spiritual sense. Just like you can forgive someone who commits a crime against you, but, since they are not sorry / have no intention of stopping, you will still hold them responsible for it / have them punished by the law for their actions.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh - also, imo, if you say that you're sorry and you don't mean it, then you're adding lying and hypocrisy to the situation. You can't "fool God" with a false repentance - it would basically just be for show for other people, and pointless spiritually.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:25 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Oh, and to clarify, I'm talking about what you do that you know you did and know you were wrong about. Here's a simplistic example, but will make my point - If you're going in a door and you know someone is coming in behind you but you intentionally let go of the door and it shuts in their face and hits them. That would be rude, and you know it, so you should ask to be forgiven. But you would have to mean it, or you just make it worse. BUT - if you are going in a door, and you have no idea there is someone behind you and the door shuts in their face, it's still rude, but you didn't know you did it, so you wouldn't know to ask to be forgiven for that specific thing. But, you could say later to the people in the room that if you have done anything to bother or offend them, it was unintentional, and you hope they will forgive you for it (and mean it, even though you didn't know you just slammed the door in their face).
    kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2009