what about the breastfeeding doll?

this is shocking to me you show them things to young then the younger they become won't they i just think it is wierd. what does every one else think?

Ashlee0323

Asked by Ashlee0323 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• i wouldnt buy one for my daughter if i had one, if she wanted to breastfeed her dolls thats fine but i wont buy her a doll just for that purpose, seems like a waste of time
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• ...and by time i mean money LOL... sorry, a waste of money!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:02 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Love it!! Makes far more sense than my daughter seeing me breastfeeding and then her seeing a bottle with every doll on the market. I had to laugh when she got a doll for Christmas though...she immediately started feeding the doll with a bottle and then suddenly tossed the bottle and said "baby doesn't like that" and lifted her shirt and began nursing the doll. Ihave never said anything negative about bottles but my son early on (he will take a bottleof BM fine now) would take a few sips and then refuse the bottle so she must have noticed he prefers to breast feed lol. I would love to have this doll because I think it sends a great message (just because "bottle" is currently the norm in toys and books and it should at least be equal) but really my daughter will nurse anything and I'm sure the parents who buy this doll will be the ones whose children are already well exposed to breastfeeding. I stillwant one though;).
    mommy2myjem

Answer by mommy2myjem at 2:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I know, we should definitely not be teaching our toddlers the real purposes of breasts. They are just sexual. Milk is a side effect, it hasn't ensured the survival of our species or anything. In fact, don't tell them that pee comes out of a penis either, that's just for sex.

Seriously, I can't believe how many hangups people have abouut t breastfeeding. Obviously, you guys aren't ever around breastfeeding. Most children who see breastfeeding naturally breastfeed their dolls. It isn't sexual, anymore than a boy holding his penis to pee. Woudl I buy it? No! I can get a $2 doll that she can breastfeed. The sound effects are cool, and I love that it normalizes breastfeeding (breastfeed is still normal, after all). But my toddler knows all about breastfeeding. She knows breastmilk comes out of them, and when the baby cries, she runs to her, and says "nurse!" I don't need a doll to teach her about it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Okay. i had to look it up. I think that i would not buy one for my daughter. When my DD was breastfeeding my son used to go around with his doll under his shirt breastfeeding it and he's a boy. i can teach my daughter about breastfeeding with out buying a doll that she is going to go around with that 'sucks' at her 'bra' that's just me. Beside she will learn about breast feeding long before it is pertinent information whether I teach her or not.. I have no problem with toy bottles being the norm. I don't think it implants any 'bottle is best' thought's into a child's head that they would carry into adulthood. Just me I guess.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:23 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If it doesn't implant any ideas, then what's wrong with breastfeeding being the norm for dolls?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• ANOTHER question on this stupid doll!? Its stoooooopid!
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It doesnt' bother me at all. If my kids were into dolls, I would have no problem buying it. Bf'ing is normal, my kids were all bf'd and when my dd got her first baby doll she was puzzled by what the bottle was for. She had never really seen a baby fed from a bottle. She used to feed her 'babies' by holding them up to her chest. Even my son did that with his Transformers when his sister was born (we have a really cute picture of him 'feeding' Optimus Prime!) I honestly don't see how this is 'inappropriate'- bf'ing is NOT sexual. If they make a Blow Job Barbie or something, THAT is something I would object to. Not a bf'ing baby doll. Sex vs bf'ing- there is a difference!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I think it's wrong. I would never buy my daughter one. At almost 3 years old she doesn't need to know what breastfeeding is all about. They try to push kids to grow up to fast when really they should just let children play with dolls. Breastmilk can also go in bottles so I don't see the big deal with bottle babies. I don't like the whole idea of seeing a little girl lift her shirt up to breastfeed when she doesn't even have a breast yet. It's sick!
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• its a great idea! =) breastfeeding is a way better thing to teach them instead of using a bottle, to bottle feed a baby.
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 11:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2009