MIL troubles

ok so because we live in an area that doesn't have the best schools, hubby and I have decided to home school. Now, when we chose to do this this we made a well thought out, informed decision and his mother thought it would be for the best too, or so it seemed. The other day my MIL saw that I had my hands full with my newborn and she asks "how do you think you are gonna be able to handle homeschooling the boys with a new baby in the house?" and I explained to her my plans. Then she hit me with an all time favorite "well what about them making friends and socializing?" ....then I said "well my concern is their education, they can make friends anywhere" Realizing that she wasn't getting anywhere she quickly vented about the fact that she didn't like the thought of me home schooling and then dropped it. So today hubby comes home and sees me trying to get the baby to sleep and says to me- continued in replies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in

• cont.. "how do you think you are gonna be able to handle homeschooling the boys with a new baby in the house?" and Im thinking ok well it could be a coincidence... and I say well what do you mean? and he starts saying all of the things she was saying, come to find out- since she couldn't get me to come over to her side and sign my boys up into public school she decided to go to my husband and tell him all of these things and got him believing her! I am so mad at her and him- her from not taking the hint that I have this under control and him for the fact that he was all for it for the past 2 and a half months when we started talking about homeschooling, now all of the sudden hes agreeing with his mom so how can I tell her as politely as possible to leave us alone about our decision and also to stop saying negative things about it in front of the kids so that they wont get a negative start to the upcoming year?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• This is one of those things you will have to prove. Get organized, be diligent about following a schedule. If you set your mind to making this work...IT WILL WORK. Dont worry about what they think--you are a good mom for being willing to juggle all of this, simply for your childs education. Once they see you can handle it..they will shut up. Until then, stick to your guns, make a plan, be very disciplined, and prove to yourself, and family that you are strong enough to make this happen for your kids.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i agree 100% with pp. i am homeschooling this yr too. i just had a baby on mon and my husband is deploying this month.. Just stick to your schedule and prove them wrong. This will be my 2nd year and i find homeschooling to be less stressful then reg school. I get a ton more done and my son learns at his pace. GL
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2009