my son wont go to sleep need some advice asap please

my son is 16 days old and i cant get him to go to sleep. he woke up at 10:30 to be fed and changed well its now going on 2 and he still hasnt gone to sleep i have changed and feed him again, rocked him, tried to just put him in the crib and after about ten minutes he starts crying i dont know what to do im so tired and just want to go to sleep. any ideas

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 2:49 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he BF or bottle fed? If he is nursing I would just latch him on until he goes to sleep and let him lay there for a little while before trying to put him in bed. My daughter used to do this some but her problem was gas. You might try to burp him more or work his legs a little to see if you can get some gas out. I also would pull up my shirt and lay her across my stomach long ways with her on her stomach and that would help sooth her to sleep. Good luck sweetie!!!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:52 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• if you have family you need one long break and a long nap, and then you need to put him in bed turn out the lights and tell him you are tired. put alittle karo in some water maybe he needs to poop pooh.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 2:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I did that for months my daughter would just stare at me until 3 in the morning and if I dared to close my eyes she cried! Frustrated I told my husband it was his turn. He made sure she was dressed, fed and comfortable than sat in the cozy chair by her crib and promptly fell asleep letting her cry. She cried herself asleep within an hour. We moved her back to the bassinet by my bedside and I learned to do almost the same, but I would keep my hand in her to reassure us both.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 2:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i was bf but had to stop cause i wasnt making enough milk... it was like next to nothing, so we are bottlefeeding now. i will keep trying to burp him.. thank you
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 2:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I feel your pain in needing sleep, but to be honest, it will be close to 6 weeks before he knows that dark means sleep. He was always in the dark before so there is a transition time. Sometimes a radio on low, between stations can help. He is still young enough that if he is crying, he needs you(or someone) Maybe not holding him, but maybe patting his back. Hang in there, it gets better.
    Remember to sleep during the day when he sleeps. I know there is laundry, cleaning, cooking, groceries to buy, etc. But after three children, this is not overrated. Sleep when he does and then you are rested when he is awake. It really does work!!!
    Maybe you have a friend or family member that could take him for an afternoon while you get a nap. The more sleep, the better the coping skills.
    Now is not the time to try and live "normally", it is the time to live by baby. Normal will return slowly.
    belle47

Answer by belle47 at 3:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My baby boy wont stay asleep without being swaddled, so give that a whirl. Also, if the crib is brand new it might not smell like mommy or daddy so I recomend wrapping the little one with a blanket that smells like a familiar person. (My hubby sat on our baby's sleep positioner for a couple hours to make it smell familiar.) Also, putting them to sleep with a pacifier is recomended to avoid SIDS and my baby boy seems to be calmed by it. That's what has worked for me. Good luck.
    rpggurleli

Answer by rpggurleli at 5:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• have you tried white noise? my oldest son fell asleep by listening to the shower run or listening to the dryer.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2009