if I didnt need a c-section last time what are the odds of needing one this time?

With DD I was in labor for 9 hours, pushed for 10 mins and delivered her vaginally. So what are the odds of it going this well with this baby? I was induced with DD (had no idea it was bad) and after hearing how many end in c-section and realizing that is exactly what happend to my cousin I am wondering what the odds are of it happening this time around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you could still have a vag delivary!!! Mine was an emergency C (my dd was breech... feet behind her head). I don't regret it, it was pretty easy! But I would think because you've already delivered once... i've heard it gets easier and if you were comp free last time your odds of having a vag delivary sound very good. It varies baby to baby.. but just be prepared ahead of time and plan on vag, but be aware of emergency C's! GL!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• With having a succesful vaginal delivery the first time, that improves your chances of delivering vaginally again, although there is still the chance for whatever reason that you may have to have a c-section.
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 5:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The likely hood of needing a c-section (if you avoid all unnecessary intervention, and very few are needed if any at all) are very small, given your first birth experience. Remember the longer you can move through your labor and the more you just give in to the rushes the easier labor will be on you. This all leads to fewer interventions, pressed upon you by staff.

I recommend reading "Ina May's Guide to Child Birth" by Ina May Gaskin
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 8:46 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If you don't get induced the odds are very good.

But I'll be honest in the hospital the more they do to you the harder it makes a vaginal delivery. If they confine you to bed, if they lay you on your back, rupture your membranes, strip your membranes, if they have you hooked to a monitor, if they've got you on IV, if you get an epidural, vaginal checks, etc.

To increase your odds of an uncomplicated delivery in a hospital setting, refuse induction, refuse vaginal checks (they can't strip or rupture your membranes if they don't have access!), constant fetal monitoring (they can do intermittant or use the doppler), don't let them talk you into induction because you are "slow" -- everyone labors differently -- slow might mean your body is giving you a a little time to rest. And you might seroiusly want to consider hiring a doula.

I think a good book is "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2009