Help, I need insperation!! how to decorate my boys' room with cars, Cheap?!

I cant really paint, but I want to liven up the room. There's not much space, and they already have cars blankets, border...I was wondering if anyone had any cool, unique ideas on how to add more, while on a budget (for example, I found a suggestion that said to glue hot wheels all around the room. ) Also, doesnt have to be Disney cars, some of it is, but we also have Hot Wheels and Nascar in the room. Any ideas of where to find pics of cool kids rooms? I cant seem to find any and need INSPERATION!!! Thanks alot!! : )

Mum_of_4

Asked by Mum_of_4 at 4:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• oh, my idea was to glue hot wheels around the room..... but I'm sure a craft store has picture of cars, of get cars coloring books, have them color and post them over the room????
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I just cant picture that..like wheels down , or glued by its side?....I dont think I would know what to do with it! Please elaborate on that for me?! Thanks
    Mum_of_4

Answer by Mum_of_4 at 4:18 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would think wheels down.... on the side it would look funny IMO. Maybe you could use the pics on the hotwheels boxes??? or do variations of wheels/engines or other pics of car parts on the walls.... print them off and put them up.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• walmart.com has disney car room in a box(s) lol tons of decor for CHEAP
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You could get some black and white checkered fabric - keep an eye out for it cheap - and make simple curtains to look like the checkered flag. You could get a strand of the racing flags - I don't know what it's called, but we used to use it for Cub Scout Pinewood Derbies - the plastic rope type stuff with the plastic triangular racing flags hanging from it, and hang them up around the room.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• cont

You could get a couple of big pieces of cardboard. Cover one with paint, then set the other right next to it, and slowly back your car over it (or if you have a friend with some cool tire treads, have them do it), and also over the cardboard that doesn't have the paint on it. This way you can sort of transfer the pattern of the tread onto the clean cardboard. (Make sure you only have one tire go over it.) Then, after it dries, use a mat knife to cut out the tire tracks, basically making a stencil.

Use it to trace tire tracks all over the walls in brownish / black paint, to sort of look like a car drove up and over the walls, ceiling, etc. Or, if you don't want that many tracks, you could stencil them across the dressers and stuff - like catty corner up and across the front of the dresser.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• cont

Go to a junk yard and get an old steering wheel from a car, clean it up and paint it and hang it from the ceiling with hot wheel cars hanging from fishing line or some cool chains or something from them, sort of like a mobile.

Mount a steering wheel to a piece of painted wood under a window (put it on a bolt, loose so it spins), and use a simple pattern to paint a dashboard over it - nothing fancy, just something like a simple speedometer, gas gage, etc. Depending on your ds's age, you can put it under a window and he can stand there and pretend to drive, using the window as his windshield.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I don't know. I'd think the boys would rather play with the hot wheels than have them stuck to the walls where they can't play with them, and I'd predict that there would be a number of damaged places on the walls where the glued-on cars just happened to fall off, with a little help of course.

How about using brightly colored pieces of cardboard and make a cartoonish outline of a car (drawing and cutting out) and gluing or double-sided taping those around. I have in mind a good size- maybe a foot long, but little would work too, I was thinking all the same outline, but different outlines too. And it might be fun to let the boys draw some, then cut them out and use those.

Answer by Bmat at 8:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• thanks sailorwifenmom!!!!!!!! those are great ideas, my son loves cars too. i'm saving this to show SO.. i love the steering wheel idea
    larissacst

Answer by larissacst at 1:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009