Mom's with Careers

If you have a successful career outside the home, are you reluctant to tell other moms? I'm not trying to say that being a SAHM is any less successful or in anyway trying to start a fight...but I've worked just as hard as any man in the workforce and now that I'm a mom...I feel that I cannot tell other moms b/c I'd be judged and not being accepted into the circle of "SAHM"s... Do you feel that this is true? SAHM's banish Working moms from the circle of motherhood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't i know before i got pregnant and until i was 4 months i worked, would of worked longer but my boss fired me for saftey issues of not wanting a pregnant woman doing security. I plan on going back to work when my son is old enough to talk and tell me what is going on, until then i don't feel safe leaving at a daycare or with a sitter, so it doesn't make a differnce to me if a mom is a SAHM or Working mom. Some moms have to be, especially the single moms.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 7:22 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Be who you are and you will find others like yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'm sorry if you feel that way. I'm a SAHM and I will tell you honestly that I'd be jealous of you. I think it's awesome that you have a career that you love and I wish that I had that. I want to be intellectually stimulated, instead I listen to the Wiggles and Elmo all day.

If it makes you feel any better, being a SAHM a lot times I feel banished from the circle of sophisticated modern women.

I think that we all, SAHMs and working moms, could do a better job of just supporting each other and not judging. I think a lot of times it's jealousy and a good case of "the grass is always greener" that causes the rift. I think that being willing to recognize our jealousy and put it aside (like I did above) is a big step towards bridging the gap.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I've been a working mom and a SAH mom. I agree with the post above. Too often women are trying to separate themselves from one another. No wonder it can be difficult making friends as an adult. Being a woman has its wonders and challenges and being a mom, any type of mom, also has its glories and difficulties. It would so grand if we could all be honest and lean on each other without fear of being putting down. We need each other! One thing motherhood has taught me is to be humble. There is no "right way" or "better way". We all do the very best that we can and hopefully we can appreciate this in each other. Ladies Unite.
    yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 9:25 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I get so sick of this crap. Not all SAHM's judge mothers who work and not all mothers who work judge SAHM's. I swear this judgmental crap is so friggin old. You were a success before you had your kid, big deal. If you are now a SAHM big deal. I don't know why everybody is so concerned about being better than everybody else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I have been a sahm for three years. All of my kids just went to school so now I am getting ready to go back to work. I will have no problem telling anybody what I do. Some people just were not meant to be stay at home moms. I certainly wasn't. I love my kids, but my socialization skills have greatly diminished.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Well I am a work part time mom. My kids are older teens, but it gives me satisfaction and makes me proud of my work. My kids see that and have a balance. They see me and see my security grow with my new line of work.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2009