Our cat just peed on a cusion in our livingroom right infront of me - what is his problem? He never does this!

He's almost a year and a half - and he has known since the day we got him (and he was only a few weeks old then) - to pee and poo outside. (Our two cats spend equal amounts of time inside and outside.)

The only times he's had accidents since then is if he gets left inside all night because of heavy rain or wind - and we can forgive him for having to pee in the middle of the night.

But this morning, when he knew I could let him out - he jumped up onto a cushion on our couch and peed right on it - and he could see I was looking.

I'm totally shocked that he'd do that.

There have been no family changes, or recent activity that I can think of that would be upsetting him - accept we are planning on getting a puppy in about a months time - but we've only talked about it - surely he wouldn't understand - so what the heck is his problem??

ladysavage

Asked by ladysavage at 8:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pets

• check for a urinary tract infection......believe it or not, this is a sign.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree with FireLass, it could well be a urinary tract infection, or cystitis, which is very painful and can cause complications.

Our cat used relieving himself as a protest. He protested our feeding a new kitten in the closed bathroom (so she could get her kitten food,) and he'd use the kitchen rug. After about 4 times of having to clean and sanitize the rug, I shrugged and just fed both cats the same place- the older cat gleefully munching down the kitten food, and the kitten just as happily eating the adult cat food.

Answer by Bmat at 8:57 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• animals can't talk, so doing things like this is their way of letting you know there's a problem. cats are really good about hiding symptoms, and most people don't know there's a problem until it's gone on too long. be glad he did this right in front of your face (well, kinda glad!!) because now you know he needs to go to the vet.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Okay, thanks ladies!
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Is he neutered? Cats (especially males) who are fixed will spray things....

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:41 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Ugh! Thats why I hate cats! See what the vet says. GL getting the smell out!
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• MAMA kimmy im with you!...

I wouldn't ever ever allow that to take place in my home...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It sounds like a UTI or bladder infection to me. When my cat had an infection, she started peeing all over the house.

I also recommend getting a litterbox inside, even if your cat is indoor/outdoor. My cat is also indoor/outdoor, but we started keeping a litterbox inside for her since her last infection (all healed now!). Being able to keep tabs on your cat's bathroom behavior can help diagnose health problems as well as recognize these problems earlier.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 5:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yes - You can must have a UTI ( urinary infection)  - He will need antibiotics from the vet.

In the future - feed wet food daily - with fresh water and some supplements / cranberry and NuVET will help to prevent future crystals, stones and UTIs..

SEE here for feeding a cat with chronic UTIs

Maine Coon Cat with urinary problems - diet and supplements to help:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cat-Food-3490/2009/7/Picky-eater-w-hisotry.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 7:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Sounds like spraying to me, if hes not neutered of course. If he is then it should be taken seriously and he should be brought to a vet if he continues to spot in unusual places.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2009