Why does he hold back?!

I've recently started a friendship with a man I met. He's great. We are pretty close - love to joke and tease each other, can spill our hearts out to each other, have the lingering looks.... we text back and forth, he walks and drives by my house... he shows off in front of me (to impress me, I guess) but yet, when I start to flirt more seriously, he holds back. It's like all the signs are there that he's interested but something is holding him back and I can't figure out what! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! (I guess no one can really answer this, lol, and maybe it's more of a vent but maybe someone has gone through something similar...?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• He probably doesn't want to ruin the friendship..happened to me in highschool. I asked the guy after we both grew up and had our own families..that's his response..friendship was awesome and didn't want to ruin it.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 8:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Not this experience, but the opposite. Friends, joking, ... no lingering looks on my part though... and then he tries to get serious and I back down, pull back. For me it was that I wasn't ready for a serious relationship and only wanted a friend. I didn't have the emotional maturity, and I was active in getting my education, and didn't want involvement of other than a light relationship.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Sometimes the attention is enough for some folks.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• He may be in a relationship he hasn't told you about, not wanting to ruin the friendship you do have, wanting to make sure that he's READY for that step. There's a whole list of reasons why he may be that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009