Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


#1. At what age can a child take their GED?

#2. can it be taken without a parents consent if under 18?

#3. Can a non-custodial parent sign for the test

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (2)
  • Contact a local community college; they should be able to answer all of your questions. The laws vary by state.

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:05 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • In Washington, you have to be at least 16. If you are 16, 17, or 18, you have to have a signature from the high school you last attended stating you have dropped out. You cannot take the test on your own until age 19 (yes, 19, not 18). You also have to have a parent signature. I'm not sure what you mean by non-custodial parent. Here, there really isn't such a thing. In a divorce situation, both parents are considered custodial with one parent considered the primary residential parent. I would think as long as the parent has not lost their parental rights, they could sign for the GED test. At least, the testing center would allow it. A divorce decree might say that education decisions have to be made jointly (mine does) so signing for a GED without the knowledge or permission of the other parent would technically be contempt. I would contact your local community college & possibly a lawyer. Good luck!

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.