breastfeeding

i plan on trying to breastfeed. the reason i say try is because i has sensitive nipples before i even became pregnant and i'm not sure if i'll be able to handle it. i am going to try because i know its really good for the baby. anyway, i would like to know more since i am completely clueless on this. do you still burp the baby, how do you know how much the baby has taken in and when its enough... please dont bash, i just dont know any of this.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• good for you for wanting to give it a try. It is one of the most wonderful experiences iv'e had. I gave up after 3mo. with my first baby, by by the 3rd i was a pro. I was sad when my 15mo. son weaned himself. Anyway, if found that breastfeed babies don't get as gassy as formula fed babies. I still burped my babies, but they hardly ever spit up. You don't know exactly how much baby is getting, but will knnow if he/she is gettin enough if they have 6 to 8 wet diapers a day. My 3rd son wanted to nurse about every 11/2 to 21/2 hrs. at first. I nursed on demand. i never woke my boys up at night unless it was more than 4hrs. but i never got that lucky.
    Congrats on the baby!!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• congrats on trying! i promise you'll do good, it just takes a lil time. yes you still want to burp baby about half way through, although some breastfed babies dont burp like bottlefed (less air intake). your baby will let you know when she's through, listen for the sound of swallowing (kind of a click). he/she will probably fall asleep during feeding. thats when id burp and then offer breast again. if they're full baby will either not suck or a big one is prob just have nipple in mouth, like a paci. if you need more help, get a hold of a lactation consultant. or you can contact la leche league. good luck mom!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It's okay not to know, you've never done this before! =) The good news is, I'm sure you'll be fine nursing. I have crazy sensitive nipples, and my son, who will be a year this month, is still nursing. Yep, it can hurt a bit when they first latch on, but that goes away. Make sure to meet with a lactation consultant at the hospital, because they can make sure your latch is good, your positioning is good, etc, and all these things make a HUGE difference in pain. DO NOT try toughening your nipples, you can actually do damage if you do that. Yes, you burp the baby still, sometimes even in the middle of the feeding (a good way to wake them up, since they LOVE to fall asleep at the breast!). The baby should usually nurse about 15-20 minutes, once you've gotten them latched on. As long as they have 6-8 wet diapers, and their poop looks like dijon mustard mixed with cottage cheese by day 5 or so, then the baby is getting
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• enough and nursing long enough. If the poop is green, then the baby needs to be nursing longer. Normal green is day 3-4, while the baby is transitioning from meconium (the poop the make from the amniotic fluid while inside you) to actual poop from nursing. After that, green poop means that they are getting too much foremilk, and not enough hind milk. Foremilk is the early milk that is watery and quenches the baby's thirst, and the hindmilk is the fatty, nutrient-rich milk. That's why you need to nurse for so long, and you don't need to switch breasts DURING a feeding, just nurse on one side, then do the other at the next feeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Aug. 9, 2009