Are regular household cleaners bad for health? Why does everyone push using "natural" cleaning products, like vinigar and bicarbonate of soda?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• ppl are more worried about the environment than crusy mildew in their homes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• most chemical-laden cleaners give me a terrible headache and i don't feel like cleaning. making my own from a handful of more natural ingredients is cheaper, better for the environment, and my house gets cleaned more often. i can trust the surfaces that my daughter eats off of- like her table- without needing to rinse them off after cleaning for fear she gets those chemicals on her food or hands. and i don't have mildew in my home.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• People with asthma and allergies are often sensitive to ingredients in standard, commercial cleaning products. Many are unsafe to use around young children. There are some safer prepared cleaning products, including some non-toxic ones, if you're not interested in going the DIY cleaner route.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:56 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Conventional cleaning products are dangerous for humans and damaging to the environment; they are also expensive. Did you know that OSHA requires that employees be notified when Pinesol is being used because it is so highly toxic?

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'll second SWasson. The chemicals in them can be terrible irritants to those who are sensitive.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 1:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I use them because they're cheaper and handier than searching for a specific cleaner. Baking soda and a rag remove food & drink stains from countertops amazingly efficiently. I pay 49 cents for a box of baking soda vs. $3 - 4 for a can of Comet. Why pay more when the baking soda does everything the Comet does? I use vinegar as an odor remover when washing clothes & towels. It works perfectly every time, so why should I buy expensive Febreze or other laundry helps when the vinegar works so much more efficiently?
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• all the chemicals in cleaning products are harmful to the environment and your health. The can cause asthma, cancer, rashes and some times death. The seep in to the water supply and the ground. The chemicals do more harm then good. It is also a lot cheaper to use natural cleaners.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 5:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yeah, I second that " ibeamomysomeday" ! We stopped cleaning with chemicals and started cleaning with essential oils, baking soda, corn starch, and terpenes. Try GreenTerpene d-Limonene, you will never use anything else. Stuff works like a charm, add a little to baking soda to make a scouring powder, or ta tap water to make an all purpose cleaner. Its made from orange peels and is 100% natural! GreenTerpene.com - check em out
    EcoMom2010

Answer by EcoMom2010 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010