Why am I afraid to use bleach?

This is a totally weird question, I know. I guess it's because my mom never used bleach to clean when I was a kid. But I'm terrified to use bleach in the laundry or to clean the bathroom. I'm scared it'll get on my clothes or I'll use it on something I shouldn't or I'll somehow mix ammonia and bleach (even when I haven't used any ammonia in days LOL!)

So weird. How can I get over this bleachaphobia?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Your fears are justified. I've ruined clothes more than once in the laundry. The latest was when I ran a bleaching load- bleach, hot water, soak, wash and rinse, and rinse again, then when I put the next load in of regular clothes, there must have still been some bleach in the machine because it got spots of bleached areas on my colored clothes! And cleaning the kitchen sink using bleach, I've had it splash and didn't know it and damaged what I was wearing. I've learned to use only old clothes. Bleach is a great disinfectant and, well, bleacher, but it does damage. Look around for other disinfectants that you can use that won't bleach, or at least not as much. If you make sure all ammonia has long washed down the drain, then you don't need to worry about that.

Answer by Bmat at 10:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Trust your instincts Bleach is toxic to humans and other animals, and damaging to the environment. Ammonia is also very toxic. You don't need either in your home.

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Since I'm not comfortable with making my own cleaning products (I just don't think and I know it's unjustified, but I don't think they'll work that well). We use Simple Green. It's non-toxic and works well. I used to clean my entire house with it and never used ammonia on anything, I got scared when my dd started "helping" me and got it into her eyes. So I stopped using it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The only time I've used bleach is when our sewer line backed up from tree roots growing into the pipes. The toilet pretty much flushed into the bathtub and the master shower. And it wasn't just pee. Yeah, that was fun! Anyway, I cleaned both with bleach like three times. The only good thing that came out of that mess was that the main problem was in the city's portion of the lines so we didn't have to pay for the repairs.
    Anyway, I don't think bleach is all that necessary for normal cleaning. I try to use environmentally friendly products. I really should try some of the homemade type cleaning solutions.

Rkoloms - do you just put the solution into a spray bottle and then use as needed?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2009