When should I stop this?

My little girl will be 3 months this week. I still swaddle her and give her a pacifier at bedtime. She does great by going right to sleep and sleeping through the night. Recently a good friend with several kids told me I shouldn't still be doing this, but should let her learn to self soothe by crying it out. Is my little girl too old to still be swaddled? I kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's a right way and a wrong way to let a kid CIO. You'll find extremely varied views on it here. *My* opinion is that you shouldn't even consider CIO until your child is over six months old. After six months, you can sort of tell when they really need something and when they're pitching a fit because they would rather be with you than go to sleep. Case in point, my seven month old daughter screamed for a week recently every time I'd lay her down in her crib. I'd pick her up, she would be fine. I'd lay her down, she'd wail. So after a week of it, I just left her there, and it only took about five minutes for her to calm down and go to sleep.

The swaddling and pacifier thing is all you, really. My daughter stopped taking her paci around five or six months old. She just stopped wanting it. We only swaddled her for the first two months. But right now, you can't spoil your baby AT ALL. So do what you need to do =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:05 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• We swaddled until about 5 or 6 months. Your daughter will let your know when she has outgrown it by trying to squirm out of the blankets and making a fuss when she is being swaddled. Do what feels right to you and your daughter and follow her lead. When my daughter making a huge fuss when we swaddled her I knew she had outgrown it. We also didn't let her CIO until about 6 months old. She had to CIO pretty much everyday for the following year but it was her process and it worked for us. SO trust your mommy instincts and don't worry too much about everyone else's opinions.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• totally agreee with priv. poster. 3mo. is too young in my oppinon to cio. It is too stressful on the babys body. 6mo. is a good age to condider starting. I didn't let mine CIO all the way until around 10mo. though. It worked out for us. Now all i have to do is put my boys in bed and they go to sleep on their own. I think it's all up to the parents and what they can deal with.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I don't think 3 months is too early for CIO, but if your baby is content with her pacifier, I wouldn't change a thing.

Our first two children HATED to be swaddled. Our third was swaddled every time we put her to sleep for about 6 months, until we weren't capable of swaddling her anymore. Lol! She didn't crawl until 11 months and didn't walk until 19. I don't know if that had anything to do w/ the swaddling. Personally, I think she's just lazier than our other kids (ha!) but it's something I wonder about.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my 5mo still must be swaddled. she takes paci but im trying to wean her off it.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• you need to understand that the only expert on ur child is ur self u carried ur baby 4 nine months u know ur baby more intimately than anyone the more time u spend with them the more u understand and feel wat they need no child can have enough loving nurtering touch this is how they learn. each child is individual if ur child responds to cuddles and pacifiers then that is wat he/she needs rite now 3 months is only a micro second of a time to be here so rules so early r not needed loving gentle touch and nourishment r all that is needed you will be given millions of advice go with ur gut instinct and use wat u find useful and ignore the rest. trust me all children have hair teeth can walk and talk by the time they go to skool all the silly things moms worry about every child reaches their milestones wen their ready Best wishes enjoy ur BABY!!!
    yumyum64

Answer by yumyum64 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You friend is wrong. For one, she is too young to CIO... it shouldn't be started until they are at least 6 months.
    Your baby won't want to be swaddled forever... we swaddled my son until he was 5 months, he didn't sleep well without it. But as soon as he learned to roll more then he didn't need it anymore to sleep.
    Pacifier- that is up to you. My opinion it's best to get rid of it sooner than later so that you don't have the battle to take it away when the are older... but that is for you to choose.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:00 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• All my kids hated to be swaddled after 2 months. As far as the pacifier....I agree w/AmiJanell better to get rid of it now rather than later!
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my baby is 21 mos and still has her paci ...why is everyone in such a hurry for their kids to grow up? I would NEVER EVER let my baby cry it out! That is sooooooo mean !
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• That's so nice of your friend! She's going to come put your baby to bed for you every night! Oh, she's not? Then if what you are doing is working, keep going with it You're the one putting her to bed after all.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2009