Formula and toddlers

Ok so I FF and my DD is almost one. I know you start whole milk at 1 but I have also seen Good Start 2 and Similac Go and Grow for children 9 -24 months. Has anyone ever used this and what is the difference? No bashing about FF please it's a decision I made so I don't want to hear about it this morning. Just looking for advice for the next stage!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 11 months and we're going to go straight to milk. Truthfully, I think the formula next step is just to get you to spend the money on it. JMO. I'd ask your doctor though. He/she might know what's best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't use it unless your pedi recommends it. It's just another way for these companies to make more money.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yeah I dont think he really needs it unless he is super small! Cows milk should be just fine plus it is alot cheaper.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I know I have used a '2nd stage' formula when my older boys were little (they are now 13, 11). I belive the difference is in the nutrition value. With the older babies eating foods they are getting some of their daily nutrition values from the foods, so the formula nutrition may be less than the regular infant formula. You may want to ask your pediatrician what the difference is and if it would be a good suppliment for your child.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:45 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Only if he isn't doing well with his solids. They are for complete nutrition. If your child is eating a balanced, nutritious diet, then you don't need to stress.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Thanks so much for the advice ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Never used them. I saw them as a way for the formula companies to suck more money from you. We switched to whole or 2% at 12 months and they only got 1 cup a day. The rest of their nutrition came from solid foods that they were eating and by then they were eating anything we were (even my middle daughter who had no teeth on her 1st birthday). They are all happy and healthy now (they are 9, 7, 6, and 3).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• We went straight to milk. If you haven't already, start mixing the milk & formula so it's not such a big change.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I went straight to 2% milk when my son was 8 months old. Toddlers do NOT need formula, that is just a way for the formula companies to make more money off of parents. Once on milk, they only need 8 oz a day, 4-6 oz of juice and the rest should be plain water. They will get their nutrients from table foods.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i used them when my son turned 9 months. dr advice, he was on solids and the stage 2 kind cut bck on things where solids made up. 1 yr he was on whole milk. i think their intention are for chldren who are having gastro- issues or not thriving as a supplement. it's up to you there not really a pro and con on it, just know that if you are on WIC they won't the stage 2 formulas
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009