Why aren't major health insurers are not leading the fight against HCR?

I think I missed something... and I know that Cafemoms will have ALL the answers . Does anyone else wonder why BCBS, Aetna, Cigna, and other major health insurers are not leading the fight against this? Maybe I totally missed something because the way it seems to me... they should be screaming. Many small businesses (like the one I work for) would not qualify as a s/b under Obama's plan and will be forced to pay an 8% penalty. But my husband's company could pay the fine and save hundreds of thousands by discontinuing the health plan we currently have. Any thoughts?

ThatTXMom

Asked by ThatTXMom at 10:41 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the reason why they are not PUBLICLY fighting against ObamaCare, is these FOR PROFIT insurance companies will be able to dump the majority of their expensive subscribers (the elderly, the high risk, and chronically ill) on to the government program, thereby keeping the healthier, less costly subscribers on board, who pay their premiums, and cost the companies very little in terms of payouts.

How many years have you paid into your home, auto or health insurance companies via premiums, versus how many claims you have made that resulted in a payout (net loss to the companies)? ObamaCare is nothing different.

Besides, I htink many of the larger insurance companies will be able to "hang on" for a while, as smaller companies go bankrupt, and get the support of big pharma to keep them afloat. Maybe "the big 3" (BCBS, Aetna, CIgna) will "merge" with the government plan?! I don't know!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You got the math right, more companies will chose the public option because it's cheaper, which will force private insurance into the tiniest corner of the market.

I'm guessing a few elite companies will still offer private insurance as a big employee incentive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Sorry for the crappy grammer in the heading. When I try to fix it, Cafemom tells me it is locked for editing. Oh well, you'll just have to go with it! LOL
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 11:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• "Maybe "the big 3" (BCBS, Aetna, CIgna) will "merge" with the government plan?! I don't know! "

I've thought there might be some payout to these guys. Someone will have to manage the new system and who better than the ones who have been doing it for so many years and have gotten screwing people down to an art. We have BCBS and are happy for the most part but I'm also very thankful I have AFLAC to cover so many things that the insurance doesn't.
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 11:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Obama has probably lied to them, like he does everyone else, and either promised them something to keep quiet, or threatened them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• "I think the reason why they are not PUBLICLY fighting against ObamaCare, is these FOR PROFIT insurance companies will be able to dump the majority of their expensive subscribers (the elderly, the high risk, and chronically ill) on to the government program, thereby keeping the healthier, less costly subscribers on board, who pay their premiums, and cost the companies very little in terms of payouts."

Wonderfully said, LoriKeet.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:25 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I seldom agree with LoriKeet, but that's it exactly!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree with Lorikeet 100%
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009