My one year old has a nasty cough...

and he is miserable! This is the first cold he has ever had. What can I do to ease his cough and help him feel better? Should I give him pedialyte, tea, anything?
I am so sad for him because he whines with every cough and doesnt quite get that there is not much I can do for him. He keeps looking at me like "mom, see? Now fix it!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a Popsicle, it will help his throat if it is dry. U can get pedialyte Popsicle if he is not wanting to drink or eat to give him energy
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:45 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Do you have a warm vaporizer? If so , at night when he's sleepimg but it on in his room w/ some vicks vapo.You can get it at Walmart. It goes right into the vaporizer water. I run it only at night or when my girls are napping , it works great!! Also warm tea w/ a little honey is good for a cough and sore throat...:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• no honey for a child very dangerous. Babies do not have the bacteriaor enzymes in their bodies to digest honey.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I gave him some warm chamomille tea (no honey) and as soon as he swallowed it his eyes lit up. I imagine it felt very good on his throat. He just guzzled it.
    He is still eating well and drank a full cup of water (with a little bit of apple juice) before the tea so I think I will skip the popsicle idea because that would be his entire daily sugar intake.
    Thanks for the advice!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• lol, Im glad tea worked. I know when my dd had a sore throat and cough she would not eat cause it hurt. So doc suggested the pedialyte popsicle.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• you can also add lemon in the tea -they are full of vitamin c. Get him in the sun for 10-15 minutes a day. Add probiotics to his diet-put it in his applesauce or just buy orgaic yogurt.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You can also use baby tylenol to ease the pain overall.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• When you put him to bed tonight, put him down at an incline. Mine has had a cough and some drainage, and I just went stupid and couldn't figure out why she wouldn't nap. DUH she can't breathe. I put a pillow under her mattress, and shes been asleep for an hour.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

YES!!!! YOU CAN GIVE BABIES HONEY AS LONG AS THEY ARE OVER THE AGE OF ONE. I GIVE IT TO MY GIRLS WHEN THEY GET SICK BECAUSE MY DR.RECOMMENDED IT...
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009