As a baby gets older, should you start giving them less formula a day, or keep it up right until they're 1st birthday?

It's about time (well, in a few months) to start giving my seven month old daughter more solids.

Should I still be feeding her formula twice as a snack AND three times a day with her baby food right up until her first birthday?

Or should I start cutting out one bottle in a month or two, and continue replacing formula with another liquid until she's one and is ready to start regular milk?

Bare with me, I dunno how all of this solid food business works, lmao.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personal did cut back on the formula for my first daughter but not so much for my second. I think just depends on how much solid food they eat a day. My oldest LOVED her food so she didn't really need so many nutrients and such she got from the formula. My youngest ate very little and still does so she was keeping up quite a bit with the formula. She actually just turned one in June and now I still have to give her pediasure because she won't hardly eat anything. So....as long as your little one is a pretty good eater you should be able to cut back. It will also make it easier to cut out the formula all together eventually by cutting back little by little. Hope this helps.
    girlsmomma06

Answer by girlsmomma06 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If I remember right... the formula should be the primary source of nutrition until their first birthday and after that start weaning. Solid foods are OK, but shouldn't replace the formula yet.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• they still need at least 24oz of formula until a year old no milk till a year old you DO NOT CUT BACK it is their main source of nutrition, they truly don't need solids for the first year its only used as a tool to learn how to eat, so formula is number 1 priority solids number 2. she will need 4-5 bottles still a day (6oz) and give solids 2 times a day and 2 snacks per day ----creditability--- nurse
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My pediatrician said do not let them have anymore then 18 oz of formula a day when they are eating solids. The only reason they need formula is for the iron. She also told me after about 6 months there main nutrition should come from solids. I know it contradicts what some people has said but thats what my pediatricion told me and I also have read it in a couple of books like What to Expect The First Year.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Primarily, breastmilk or formula should be their primary source of nutrition until at least the 1st year. It has everything your kiddo needs. Solid foods, at this age, are more for fun and variety than nutrition. I would not replace formula with another fluid. They need as much nutritionally dense food right now as they can, and other fluids would fill their belly but offer little calories and nutrition, depleting their resources. I hope that helps. :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 1:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• drs.. im a nurse myself and its 24 oz not 18

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2009