Grades for Middle Schoolers

I want some examples of how you manage your kids grades, and what discipline you use when grades are bad, also what is your homework routine? Examples of how YOU go about making sure the childs grades stay good.?? I am in need of a new routine when school starts-the one we followed last year went badly, and I just want to know how everyone else handles this operation??

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in

• the way we did it last year was as soon as they got home the FIRST thing they did was homework...if the oldest said she didnt ahve homework i would threaten her with the "do you want me to call your teacher tomorrow and ask her?" she didnt believe i would the first time i threatened it till i DID do that...lol
    but this coming school year my kids are attending an after school program that is a homework and tutoring help station...so thats going to help alot since my oldest is learning things that I have no idea about!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• When my boys got home, they had a 30 minute break for a snack and to unwind, then homework. They were only allowed 1 hour a day on weekdays of video games.....so it wasn't like they could play more video games and not do homework, but of course homework was first. We had rewards for good grades usually cash, but sometimes it would be something they really wanted to do, and consequences such as completely losing video games, cell phone, computer privileges, whatever was important to them. My oldest we still had trouble with, and in high school I was pretty much on a first name basis with each of his teachers in order to keep track of his homework. He also had to bring home a weekly progress report that was signed by each teacher telling us that he had turned in all of his school work, or had missing assignments. (Our school had a form for this...so clearly lots of kids have this problem!! Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My kids do homework immediately after school. on the days my dd has girl scouts she does homework until its time to leave and then either in the car on the way to scouts or hte minute we get home from scouts. My son doesnt have any yet but this will be the same for him. she has to sit at the kitchen table so i can watch her work and keep her brother from bothering her. Punishemnt for bad grades is loss of activities, such as girl scouts baton and swimming. AS yet we havent had to use these cause shes sucha great student. We also talk alot during the school year about why good grades are important. I remind her of her goals and the things she wants to accomplish in life (even though i am sure some of those will change over the next few years) cause at the time they are important and she understands good grades are the only way she will be able to achieve those goals. THe school sends home a homework log and that helps
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• When my daughter gets home, she has 1/2 hour of snack and downtime. Then she surrenders her phone and ipod, goes to her room and does homework.

Instead of allowance, we pay quarterly for grades: $20 for an A; $10 for a B; nothing for a C; -$10 for a D; -$20 for an F.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I do NOT pay anything for good grades, he is expected to maintain a B average, that is his job. Staying in close contact with the teachers is a good idea, my son's homework and 3 of his textbooks are on line so even if he forgets his stuff, I can pull it all up on line. I do NOT fight with him to do his homework, if he doesn't do it he suffers the consequences at school. Detention, no incentive fun days, he loses all his electronics at home, he goes no where until his grades are back up. When report cards come out, if he doesn't have a B average, he is grounded until his grades go up. I can also check his grades on line, daily. The high schools he wants to go to all require a B average or better to just get on the list.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My kids are expected to have a B or higher, no questions asked. If we see something lower, then its usually a sign that the child is not getting the material. We dont punish, but we do get extra help. I have only had one child that had one bad grade that was a C. She was maintaining straight A's in everything else so I know it wasnt her goofing off. She simply didnt get it. Math isnt her strong point. So we are working with her to find her some help. Shes also going to a better school this year and they teach it differently. My 6th grader has had nothing less than an 89 but usually its all A's and my 1st grader has all A's too. I am a very lucky mom to have such motivated and smart kids. Every year is a new year though and I hope that it continues tobe easy for them. We dont see grades as punishment worthy, but as a cry for help. So far its been that way, anyway.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009