this gets real annoying..

my son says "mommmmy!" i say "what?" he says "mommmmmy!" i say "whatttt?" he says "mommmmy!".. i think you get the picture. but this is really aggravating. how do i get him to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he's just saying mommy to say mommy. Maybe he wants picked up. Do you ask him what he wants or just keep saying what? If he's age 1-2, he's not gonna grasp the meaning of "what" on it's own. You need to ask him if he want's specific things.

All in all, he's gonna do this for a few more years probably in one form another. If it annoys you now, you're in for it when he hits 3 and 4.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I wish I had that problem. My 19 month old twins can't talk yet!!!..lol
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• This reminds me of a Family Guy episode. The same scenario occurred but ended with Louis (mom) screaming "What!!" and Stewie (the baby) saying "I love you" and running away. As tempting as it sounds it's a bad idea. Try getting down to the child's level and using there name ask them what they want. Get detailed. Often this is a great way to build communication. On days with a little less patience I like responding to my daughter by doing it back to her, sneaking up and tickling her. Distraction is key. Don't worry it doesn't last forever.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• actually h3art2h0m3...stewie doesnt say "I love you" he says "HI" giggles and runs away =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Sounds to me like he just wants some attention, instead of just saying "whhaatt" at him, why don't you pick him up, give him hugs.. My daughter does this to me and its usually because she wants some attention.

And I agree with PP's, you can't just ask him what, he's not going to understand it.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 2:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• he just learned your "name" .....I would be thrilled if my said Mommy. Sometimes he says mamamama and reaches for me. I agree with PP he does not know the word what.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• haha no he didn't just learn my "name".. he's 2 1/2.. he's been saying mommy for over a year
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My son does that also. . . after a couple times I tell him mommy is going to hide and pull a blanket over my head or put my hands infront of my face. . . he giggles and forgets what he was doing.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2009