can this be fixed?

when I leave the house I put my dog in a cage. because if I don't I'll find unwanted surprises in the house. I would rather let him loose. Is putting in the cage the normal thing to do? or can he be trained?

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 11:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Its called Crate Training and YES, its quite helpful for potty training.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would train him and also keep him Crate trained also. I have always crate trained my dogs and they also potty trained.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I have no idea about Crate Training n Potty training just sounds odd, but yes of course u can train your dog. I have a 5 yr old Bitch and it took a while but i can now leave her for long periods of time with no problems. Being firm is how you do it (n i don't mean cruely firm) i mean firm. They need to know that doing it the house is not on (if that means putting them outside for while when u do come back to anything then so b it. I would never put my dog in a crate, i don't think it's fair and at the end of the day my dog is to protect my home and it can hardly do that locked in a crate/cage.
    KerryLou

Answer by KerryLou at 11:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i have a well behaved dog, and after she was about a year and a half old, we decided to try and "wean" her off of being crated while we are not at home. it worked twice- we kept her in our bedroom with her bed, water bowl, and a toy. then on try #3, she ate part of the carpet and tore the padding underneath to shreds. so she stays crated. her health trumps everything. as long as the crate is the correct size for your dog, there is nothing wrong with keeping them crated for reasonable amounts of time. your dog might be still having accidents if the crate is too big- they don't like to potty where they sleep (unless it's a puppy- then that's just normal part of potty training and will take time). the correct size crate is one that is just big enough for the animal to stand comfortably, turn around, and lay down. it may seem like that might be too small, but the purpose is to make it so they don't want to go potty in there.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• we use to let my dog loose in the house intill he develped a chewing habit...so now hes lock in the bathroom when we r gone....crate traing is a sure way of keeping ur stuff safe and ur dog safe but i also know of dogs taht can be let loose in the house while the owner is gone u just have to be reasonable about ur time away from home...u cant be away for 10 hrs and not exspect to find suprises on the floor but if ur going to be gone for like 8 hrs then ur dog should be fine...befor my dog started chewing stuff btw he atrted when he was 3 he never did it as a puppy we use to let him loose but right after work we came straight home to let him out to go ot the bathroom and if we had to work over we called a family member to let him out at his schedual time...scheduals time to go to the bathrrom will also help with traing ur dog if u let him loose in the house..it'll trian his bladder and bowl movements
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My dogs have been crated when we leave since they were puppies and one is 4.5 and the other is 3. They are fully housebroken, so their crates are bigger than what they probably need, but they have room to really stretch out. As soon as they see that we are getting ready to leave, they go in their crates on their own and then we give them a treat as we are closing the crate doors. One of my dogs will even hang out in her crate randomly throughout the day. Or sometimes in the other dog's crate. They don't mind. They just sleep while we are gone.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i think dogs feel more safe and less anxious when crated. we put our 2 dogs together in their crate in the morning until i got home around 2 or 3PM. they slept in our room at night and went in & out of crate(in our room). when we got up they went out to potty, then into the crate. when i got home i took them outside to run a few minutes and gave them their bowls. we had to tie them out because they would escape the yard. we originally put them out in the morning but they barked all day and sometimes got out of the yard. when we started crating them we had alot less trouble with them when they had outside time. they were brought back in in the evening and taken out for potty and one last run before bed. we now have a large securely fenced yard and no longer crate because i stay at home and they spend time in and out. i don't think they need to have free run of the house alone- it causes anxiety n they don't know better.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2009