naptime

My 5 month old daughter never has naps, but I know she's tired and she needs one. She will fall asleep in my arms then when I put her in her crib she gets fussy.
So I keep getting her out of the bed and calming her down then again when I lie her down she fusses.
She is fed, changed, in a comfy onesie etc. There's not anything wrong with her other than the fact she doesn't want to goto bed lol.
Should I just let her fuss for a bit and see if she goes to sleep on her own? I never let her fuss for more than 30 seconds, I always run and get her right away.
How long is it okay to leave her in there crying? She's not bawling, just whining and fussing.

Also what about when she's been asleep for like 15 minutes then she wakes up fussing. Should I wait and see if she'll go back to sleep or go and get her right away?

What do you do?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 12:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is just fussing... I would let her fuss. There is nothing wrong with that. If she starts crying try first to soothe without picking her up. If that doesn't work then pick he up and soothe and then put her right back down and start over.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Do you have a swing, have you tried swaddling her? Or keeping some "white noise" in her room?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If she's fussing, I wouldn't worry. If she's crying, that's different.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• She doesnt like the swing. Which sucks because I spent like 180 on it...
    Yea I swaddle her, and I turn on the vacuum sometimes and that does seem to calm her down.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• try to putting a fan in the room that she sleeps in. That helps drown out any noise that could possibly wake her up when laid down. Letting her fuss will not hurt her. Even just a bit of crying but I wouldn't let her cry very long. My son is 7 months and has started the very same thing. I let him fuss and role around and play until I know he is getting upset. Sometimes he will fuss for like 2 min and then goes to sleep. Its hard to do this, but it will save you from having to jump up every second. Good luck momma :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If it's just being fussy, she's fine. She probably just annoyed you put her down. Let her fuss and see if she goes back to sleep. My daughter does that. But she has a scheduled naptime, so she just gets mad i put her down.

Try the fan in the room. My daughter sleeps much better when the fan is on.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• the fan idea is great for not only noise but circulating air drastically reduces the risk of SIDS>
    As others said, if she is just fussing, let her, or even a lite cry is ok-just speak to her so she hears you are there. This is diff than the CIO method which I disagree with because your baby knnows you are in the room.She is not sleeping because she wants to be held and now its a cycle where she cant soothe herself to sleep, that explains why she cant get BACK to sleep after waking as well.Maybe try a brand new bedtime routine and really stick to it, babies are funny lil people and sometimes changing one thing makes them more open to changing more and more. makes sense as they learn what we teach them, and picking her up and always holding her til she is asleep is teaching her she cant do it alone. good luck, she'll figure it out.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Thanks. I didn't know babies were so complicated untill I had one :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2009