How many is to many?? Husbands that is?

If you get married and something happens... and a few years later you get married again... No big deal right? But how many times can someone get married before people start to think there is something wrong with them? When should you just throw in the towel?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• Personally, I think if you strike out a third time... you probably shouldn't get married again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• lol i would never throw in the towel! look at elizabeth taylor! married 8 times to 7 people!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My MIL is on husband number 4 or 5 I think.... We ALL know there is something wrong with her, and then men she has married, as well as the one she is presently married to. She is codependent and selfish and just not right in the head.
    I think sometimes things do not work out and everyone deserves another chance at happiness, but once someone has been married several times I think it is only natural to wonder what in the world is going on....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Very good point. I think if the third time's not the charm, you should give up, or at least give yourself 10 or 15 years to recuperate. My mom is on her third marriage, and it's abusive and unhappy and blah blah blah. But she goes by the Bible and says she has to stay married to him because of such and such verses. It's like...well WTF did the marriage to my FATHER and my FIRST stepfather mean to you, then?!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I married three times but over the years realized I don't like the "institution" of marriage not to mention I married the wrong men for the wrong reasons (I kept getting told to marry so it was never my choice to do so). I've been single now for 22 yrs and love being single. Would I marry again? I don't think so but I don't think it's bc of me personally that the marriages went awry. I think wrong combination of man/wife and/or wrong reason for marrying. I do believe in doing something until you get it right so if marriage is your thing just keep finding men you think it will work with. If that one fails then blame it on him and try another one. So many men, so little time so get going!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I think some marriages shouldn't count. I was married for 7 years, 2 kids - that counts.

About a month into my second marriage it became clear my husband was mentally ill. He was hospitalized at a stress center and released. He wouldn't take his meds. He had a breakdown and tried to kill me and my 2 kids and pretty much destroyed the house. I was hospitalized & filed for legal separation but I couldn't file for divorce because I was pregnant. The lawyer came to the hospital. He filed for divorce the day after the baby was born a month premature.

We were only married 6 months when I filed for a legal separation. I haven't seen him except in court since. I don't think this marriage should count. It was a nightmare year. It shouldn't count.

My third marriage lasted 2 weeks. I had a miscarriage. It shouldn't count.

That was 18 years ago. Can I start over?
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Well this is a fun one! lmao Are we talking about divorcing them? Burying them...or them just disappear? lolol

I think if someone keeps marrying the same type that obviously isn't working for her (or him) they should be a little careful the next time. Although my MIL is on her fourth husband, my DH's dad was #3...and this one is the sweetest guy in the world. He's the main reason my DH is the man he is.

I hate when I hear people talking that divorcing a first spouse is no big deal...."it's only a starter marriage anyway" I'm not kidding, I heard two women in the grocery line talking about it.
    But what can you say...we live in a society of 'use it up and throw it away'.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My grandma has been married 4 times. Her first husband left her (they married young and he was my moms bilogical father), she and her second husband just fell out of love(he adopted our mom so he's grandpa), her third husband was controlling and abusive. Her fourth husband is a nice guy. He's considered one of our grandfathers.

If something happens, with them......I'm sure there'd be a 5th. We joke her motto is "Do it till you get it right."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If anyone needs a man to make them happy, they aren't happy with themselves. You need to first be completely happy with yourself. I believe that you may need a husband to fulfill your life husband kids all of that, but if you already have all of that except the husband. might as well keep the drama out of it LOL JMO I don't know
    tdoubleday04

Answer by tdoubleday04 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'd say if the second does not stick the third likely will not either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2009