Does any body else's 8 month old scream any time you turn your back and leave you with out a minute to yourself?

My little girl is the most special thing in my life and she's such a clown, it just seems that once she hit the 7 month mark, i couldn't leave her without her screaming and getting herself so worked up it upset me. She's a little better now but some days its like i cant even pop to the bathroom for necessities you know?! I know they have separation issues around now, but even when she can see me she screams sometimes until i go sit by her.

Texanairforce1

Asked by Texanairforce1 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup, my daughter was the same way.

The main thing to remember is that she is fine!!! If she is fed, dry, not sleepy, etc. then she is fine. No baby ever died from crying for a few minutes! Go do the dishes, take a shower, go to the bathroom, do the laundry....bring her with you as much as you can (I finally started showering with my daughter and she loved it!) but do the rest when you can, crying baby or not!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It happens. My daughter was like that. As long as she could she me, she was fine, but the second i was out of sight, it was like all h**l broke loose. They grow out of it. Just do what you have to do. Eventually she'll learn that you do come back. They say playing peek-a-boo helps teach them that. Not sure if it' completely true, but it's a fun game. lol.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Oh man, I thought I was the only one! I think my baby started a little around 6 months, when she got her first teeth. She seems to do it worse when she's teething.

Anyway, I agree with what Carolyn said.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Heh heh. This is standard for the age. I'd worry if it DIDN'T happen. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes this Happens!! My DD is Pregnant. She's 25 & its Baby #3! Her 4 year old was A preemie. he was like that! But her 18 mos. old! Wow is he Clingy! I don't know what he'll Do when the 3rd comes! A Baby Girl!! I don't know!! What worked with me.. Is playing A Game.. Leaving their Site & coming Back! So they know you will come Back!! Peek A Boo is SO fun & it Helps!! Also giving her, finding her something else to play with to love & take Away her attention!! I know its tough!! They will grow out of it! But I know you want A Moments Peace! Any Time to yourself! Which. Yes you do need! I got you & understand! Myself I had NO family or Friends to watch mine or help me. So it was tough! Work on it! It will get Better! Sooner or later you'll find yourself with A few minutes & won't know how to use them! Best of Luck! Congrat's on A Girl & the love!! Hope you get your Peace Soon!! You're not alone!! Get it??
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Hello Mom: Meet Seperation Anxiety! it happens to all babies.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Thank you all! I know it happens, but its kinda like you need to hear that someone else has dealt with it too. And yeah, Angellinda, im on my own too, my husband's air force and at the moment is working 12's and the weekends too, so by the time he gets in, well its time for her bed. My family are all over in England so no help physically there, and his are a 5 hour drive away so we only see them from time to time.
    It really helps having you reply so i thank you all, and im definitely off to play some more peekaboo!!! Ha!

Kate
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• All I know is.. good luck.. :) My daughter is 18 months and still does this.. i can't even walk into the bathroom without her freaking out.. its horrible. And when I have to leave the house and leave her home.. it breaks my heart because my hubby says she'll cry for like 10 minutes :(
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 2:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It is very normal at this age. 8-10 months is when the separation anxiety really starts to set in, and it can be hard sometimes. when my oldest did it, I would try to tal to her from the other room, so she could hear my voice, and continue to talk to her until she could see me again. Just say for example: " I'm just doing the laundry, I'll be right back" or whatever you are doing. Just signal to her that everything is okay, so you won't scare her. When they are that young, if they can't see you, they literally don't think you are there. They think you disappeared, they don't have a sense of time, and 10 sec. can feel the same as 10 min. to them. Good luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yup, my son started this when he was about that age and now at 16 months he still does it, its almost worst than it was when he was younger. my daughter tho never really had this problem.
    nevaehsmomma83

Answer by nevaehsmomma83 at 4:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2009