Sippy Cup advice!!

I have been working with my son for THREE MONTHS on how to use a sippy cup... and he just will not get the hang of it. All he does it gnaw on it - and does not suck.
I've tried all of it. Nuk, Gerber, Playtex... *sigh*
One of the Playtex ones - the tip is too hard so he has absolutely no interest - the other one, there's no "valve" so when he bites on it, water floods his mouth and he drops it in shock...
The one with the valve he just chews on.
What the hellll. Help me someone.
He's now 14 months - he was born 26 weeks gestation, if that's any...tip? :/

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 1:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try ones with a straw see if he likes them any better
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yes, try a straw. my 3 year old has been on the straw sippy cups, i started her on them when she was about 15 months she was born 23 weeks early
    Amy625

Answer by Amy625 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Stop putting water in them. Put his milk, formula or breastmilk (which ever he is drinking). He's more likely to go back for more when he gets some in his mouth. When he drops it "in shock" just give it back to him. We had good luck with Nuby sippy cups.

Straw cups are good, too. We switched the boys to straws at a year (they had been on sippys since 6 months).

Remember, you're still adjusting his age (usually until they are two)...he's still closer to a year in development....he'll get it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Wow you sound just like me and the issues that I was having with my DS. He is thirteen months old, and is finally drinking from a sippy cup. (He just started about a month ago.) I have a journal post I wrote called "The Sippy Cup Wars" and it basically says the same things that you are with the issues that you are having. The Nuby cups were useless, they flooded his mouth with drink because he chewed on them. He chewed on all the cups, and the ones with the valves he really hated because he had to suck really hard to try to get anything out of them. So he didnt bother, he just chewed them and got nothing out. The straw sippys everyone suggested didnt work because he didnt get the concept of how to suck them correctly. What finally worked for me was the disposable take and toss sippy cups, with no valve and without them flooding his mouth he finally got the concept. (cont.)
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• (cont) They also sell the take and toss sippy cups with handles and they work really well too, we liked those the best, because they help them hold on to the cup better. The only thing we didnt like about the take and toss is that they do leak, and if they are dropped at any distance they open up and spill all over the floor. The way to solve the issue with them being dropped and opening is to buy the ones with the attachable handles, because that prevents them from opening when dropped. Once my son had finally started actually drinking from the take and toss sippy cups for at least a week or two and was used to them, then I started to give him the Learning Curve/First Years valveless sippy cups. He has been using those for about 2 days now, and he is doing good on them. Yea! Hope this all helps. If you want to message me you can, I have lots more info. I was trying to get him to drink from a sippy since he was 7 months old.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Is it possible he just isn't ready yet? I mean, he's preemie, so do they take longer to get ready for certain things. I wouldn't stress it, just let him play with it, try milk like the other mama suggested and don't get rid of the bottles until he is an expert at the cup.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009