I need good tips for preventing & treating clogged milk ducts.

I'm a breastfeeding mother & very prone to clogged ducts & mastitius. I'm looking for some creative tips to help. I recently tried Lecithin which helped.

missfeatherlove

Asked by missfeatherlove at 2:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• be sure when you are breastfeeding that the baby is fully draining the breast. if not, try a different position, football hold worked better for me on the one side. also try warm compresses about 15 minutes before nursing, with some gentle massage while breast feeding. these things really made a difference for me in just a day or two. hope they help.
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 7:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• To prevent be sure to Empty the breast for offering the other...and if you are going to miss a feeding be sure to pump! Treating wise I alway took a hot shower and let the water run on them for a while ...Then I would feed the baby. Try to position baby's chin where the clog is and that helps to unclog. It is very painful I hope this helps ya:o)
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i had this and got the fever and infection that went with it not nice, hope u dont get it again good luck.
    Get plenty of rest, but be sure not to sleep on your stomach or in any position that compresses the breasts. Take good care of yourself both physically and mentally and minimize stress as much as possible.
    If you find that you are severely engorged, you can place a cold cabbage leaf right inside of your bra after nursing. The coldness and healing properties of cabbage will help eliminate the pain and tenderness of the breast.
    and as ur baby feeds stroke ur breast in a down word motions to help the duck gettin blocked,
    sammy04k

Answer by sammy04k at 11:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I ended up getting a clogged milk duct in my left breast on 3 different occasions. The first time i went a few hours without any treatment, not knowing what the pain was. My husband took to me the ER after coming down with a fever, chills, and pounding headache but I returned home after finding out I would have to wait 3 hours before seeing a doctor. There was no way I could just sit there for that long without any treatment. When I got home I took a long hot bath, not shower! After keeping my breast submerged under water I could feel my milk finally draining out. Be sure to nurse, nurse, nurse on the clogged breast. Massaging it and putting a heating pad to it also helps. For the other 2 occasions, the second I could feel that it was clogging up, I quickly jumped into a hot bath and got it unclogged within an hour.

My clogged ducts were due to the elastic band on my nursing tank tops resting on my breast. Now i simply make sure to pull the band down below my breast.
    HawaiianGirl58

Answer by HawaiianGirl58 at 3:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2008