Where can I get A Low cost Newwer Baby girl Car Seat?

We have a new Grand Daughter coming soon! My DH & I are jobless as is the Baby's Father. Through no fault of our own ! My DH was at his Job close to 24 years! My DD this will be her 3rd Baby. She's 25. Her work hours Are Cut. Her last 2 are Boys! So Everything is old, used or Expired! Usually DH & I try to get all the needful things! But We've been jobless for quite some time. We can't afford the Bascis or needful things, Repairs what not! So far I'm waiting close to 7 years for new Glasses & contacts! I feel so useless & helpless. Not to mention I'm not Well. I'm Excited about my First Grand Daughter. But I can't Buy anything. No thrift shop, GW, no where has used Decent infant Seats. Etc.. A Working Breast Pump or Bottles. I have to Help. I need to help. I had NO one Ever to care when I had my Children. No Baby Shower, Friends or Family to care! My Inlaw's did buy my DD . Their First Grand child A 50 cent Car Seat. Ideas?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• craigslist??i got my daughters travel system (carseat and stroller) for 100 dollars instead of 200.. and it was brand new not even out of the box yet.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Try craigslist.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I know you are going through hard times but you should NOT buy a used car seat. Only buy it from family and friends who you trust. Anyone can tell you it never has been in an accident or it never had any type of damage.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• even if a carseat was in an accident it does not mean it cannot be used again. depending on if it was badly damaged, you can get it checked out to make sure everything is fine and still working good with it,
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Check and see if the hospital gives free car seats. Some do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'm so sorry. Don't panic. Most communities have agencies that help low income moms. Ususally they are faith based and you have to listen to their belief system to get what you need. They often require you go to classses. They usually give you a new pack-n-play. They expect the baby to sleep in that even though the manufacturer recommends against it. They often give a new car seat. Then they usually have thrift store type stuff you can earn by going to classes - WIC, LLL, hospital, ect.

Some hospitals give all babies car seats. My home town does this.

Craigslist is great. There is a wanted section and you say what you need. There are women like me that give it to you. I'm disabled and low income but I pick up things at yard sales and give them to women that need them. I have basic clothes for a boy or girl, blankets, car seat, bassinet, ect.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

There is a thing as unseen damage but hey if you want to risk your child's life go ahead

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I was writing while other people started saying craigslist. It's great!

You don't need as much as you think. If for no other reason but to save money she should plan on breastfeeding a year. She doesn't need a pump, bottles, bras, or special clothes. She can check out books at the library.

Used baby outfits are best even if you could afford new. The chemicals are washed out of them. Most people like onsies. I don't, I think babies look half dressed. I do like the onsies that look like shorts or bloomers on the bottom. You should be able to get outfits for a quarter at yard sales or some thrift shops. Faith based thrift shops tend to be cheaper. Get onsies, nightgowns, and sleepers (some babies like the ones without feet).

A swaddle blanket is nice. You can find the Swaddle Me used. Blankets are a dime or a quarter at yard sales.

She can sleep with her baby or use a bassinet or cradle. Then she would need sheets.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Big Lots has great deals on carseats.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 1:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The only other thing she needs is a sling. You can get good deals on Craigslist on slings like the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder. There is a pattern for a sling, I think it's McCalls and you can make it out of an old sheet. Patterns go on sale for a dollar or two.

That's all you need - car seat, clothes, blanket, and sling. My son lost his job right after they had their baby and this is about all they had. You can get very nice used things.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2009