What to do for a baby girl's 1st birthday party?

Eloise'll be 1 in November and my husband's family have started asking what we're doing? So i have said just to have a bbq, more for us as im sure she wont remember much of it, but is that bad? She'll have a whole load of people around her and lots of presents.
Any ideas on anything else to do? What were your babies 1st parties like?

Texanairforce1

Asked by Texanairforce1 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no i agree...a bbq for the adults is perfect...shes too young to remember much...but one good thing.....i dont know about the grocery stores in your area but some of them where i live give out a small free cake for the child to demolish for free...thats always fun!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree that a bbq is good for the 1st birthday. i know there are many children in my family so i will be doing a water slide for all the kids, not that my litle one will remember, but it's mostly for everyone else to enjoy themselves.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 2:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• mine was basically a bbq also... I don't even remember most of it!!! she won't either

except for the fact DD was given eggs, and we quickly discovered she has a new allergy
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Charisma10, oh no, poor thing, is she ok?
    And to all others, thanks, i was worried i wasn't doing enough for her. Cool, so blueeyedgrl2377, where's that from? I know Walmart when i checked about a cake said to make sure i get a free 4" cake for her. Is there anywhere else? We'll be in Amarillo for her birthday.
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• She will not remember it at all, so whatever you decide to do is really for you, your hubby and the family. With my oldest, we just had a nice lunch with the family, and then after her afternoon nap we had cake and presents. And that was it. The first birthday they will remember, really, is the 3rd, in my opinion, so that's when you can start making a big deal out of it. I think a bbq would be perfect.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i dont know much about texas and what grocery stores you have there but ALL of my local ones in NH do it...we have hannafords, shaws, shop and save, and market basket....but call all the local grocery stores and ask!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009