How do you figure out what is fair for visitation??

I want to try to sit down and let him pay all the legal bill and settle the whole custody issue. I was just wondering what would be fair for him concering visitation and how much child support should I be asking for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• How is it fair for him to pay all the legal bills? Why not split it? I think 50/50 is fair. After all he is the parent too. You don't get to ask for a certain amount of child support, it's determined by how much he makes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It depends on how involved he has been. If he has been an involved daddy, let him have as close to equal as you can. I'm a big believer in the idea that a child needs as much consistency as possible, but the involved dads must stay involved. Whoever is the usual caregiver should have primary physical custody but allow as much visitation as possible (if not overnight visits). Maybe you can try to get primary physical custody but allow him to see his children a little bit each day and have an overnighter each weekend?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Perhaps because I don't have a job, because I've been a stay at hom mom for the past few years, the fact that he's the one that has been all about finding ways to make it impossible for me to get a job, Or we could go with why not make him pay in some way because of all the abuse?
    Anonymous

• It's only fair to expect him to pay the legal bills if you have been a SAHM. If you are working, you should pay 1/2. Child support is set by the court.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• When he was home he wasn't much for finding time for the kids. It was always about him and he rarely really even wanted to be around them. He was always telling them to go play. And was often jealous of time I spent with the kids when he was home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You should seek primary physical custody, child support, alimony, and pay legal. He will probably get visitation every other weekend due to his lack of involvement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You don't ask for c.s. amt. The state figures it. Go to google and put in Child Support Calculator and it will tell you how much you can get. As for visitation that is what you should discuss with him not us.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree with Anon :24.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• YOU can settle it out of court with just your lawyers if you both agree then you do set the amount.
    tdoubleday04

Answer by tdoubleday04 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my ex is required to pay a minimum of $500 a month or 25% of his gross pay, whichever is greater. He is also supposed to provide health insurance for the kids (he doesn't) and when college comes around, pay half of what it would cost for my kids to attend the state school, in my case, the University of Georgia. He is also supposed to get visitation 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer, but he doesn't do it.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 7:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009