Do we all agree that trying to stop debate and free speech is wrong in America?

answer if you disagree and have reported people or think he is right on,lol!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think BOTH sides get to protest and be loud and obnoxious...anything less is to start putting restrictions on freedom of speech, and THEN what happen? i find it FACINATING that the people who have perfected the protest and used it EVERY chance they get are now saying protests hinder democracy...WTH.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yes, I do agree that that is wrong, but I don't agree that that's what's happening.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• shouting down someone when they are there to answer questions hinders debate, no?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes Auto..I do. BUT they tried peaceful protests with the tea parties and were basically told they weren't real people and were ignorant. They have basically been called idiots and the white house is trying to say that they aren't out there or if they are that they are small in number and irrelevant. They are getting REALL REALLY frustrated and if Obama was any kind of leader he would TRY to diffuse the situation and quit making it worse by continuing to treat people as irrelevant in their opinions!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yes is it wrong, debate and discussion are always welcome; however, when people start to call other people names or putting them down because they got mad because the opponent is winning is wrong.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I stand by the first amendment...and I'm okay with the clear definitions the FCC has for limitations on obscenity, violent speech, slander, saying "bomb" in a plane, etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes it is wrong and I am praying that we wont lose our free speech. I know a lot of people will disagree but that's part of learning you hear both sides. But in all honesty Obama scares the crap out of me not just his policies but his demeanor! He obviously is very narcissistic.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• autodidact: shouting down someone when they are there to answer questions hinders debate, no?

So then you don't agree with the "protester" tactics of Code Pink? ACORN? Black Panthers? Or the students who forced an INVITED speaker off stage?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

People have already read enough to know that they are being lied to at these town meetings.

Not everyone is stupid.

You CAN have a modest income, or very little income, and have common sense.

You can also hate the thoughts of socialism, communism and governmental control.

Just have to realize when too many lines are being crossed.

Some people have NO lines, and guess which camp they're in!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes, it is wrong. And the people who are behaving badly at protests may very well be staged by opposition
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009