My whole pregnancy I wasn't afraid of labor at all, now I'm SO close, and I'm scared shitless

from day one I told myself It was going to hurt, but I would stay calm and get it done and over with.
Now I am soooooooooo scared about the fact that a baby is coming out of there, and the epi in my back, I'm scared of the pain, I'm scared of not knowing what will happen. I'm scared I'll get there too late and I won't be able to get an epi, I'm scared the baby won't make it throu the labor and delivery.. Im just scared :(
I want to cry, Im that scared.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No do not worry! if r optimistic u will get the best out come. I had the best labor and I am sure urs will go just aswell. Plus when u see ur lil baby u will forget all the pain, it is like an out of body experience.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I think fear is a normal part of pregnancy! I am WAY more scared of bringing home a newborn than I am delivery though :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• so normal to be scared
    if you were NOY scared then you should be examed by a head doctor

it really is not so bad
    i had c section
    shot in the back i did not feel
    recovery-listen to doc, stay ahead of pain, do not lift
    as for 'regular' labor,,,,need to listen to the other moms

you will be fine
    no worries
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• just take a deep breath and take it one step at a time, take it as it comes
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 3:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Here's a little tip for you get the demerol before you get the epidural. It's good to be scared shitless because then you won't need an enema too. Ok bad joke. Sweetie it's all mental women have been giving birth for a very long time. try not to focus on the pain ok. Focus on the fact that every contraction brings you one step closer to meeting the person who's been kicking you from the inside all these months. No one knows what's going to happen, but the hospital is pretty much prepared for all possibilities. You are going to be fine. You need to convince yourself of this. It's not going to matter how baby is born. All that's going to matter is that baby is finally here. The baby you and your hubby created in love is going to open up a whole new world for you. Noone said it would be easy, but it is worth it in the end. Godd Luck!! And Again you will be fine. Hugs!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Good Luck!!** I swear my typing skills suck.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Take childbirth classes. If it's too late get childbirth classes on video. Hire a doula.

Not everyone can get an epidural and then what are you going to do? I can't have and epidural and out of the 3 other births I've been at 2 of the other women couldn't have epidurals. I sure am glad I was having a CNM birth and wasn't planning on that epidural. I didn't find out until later that there is a problem with my back and I can't have an epidural.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I felt the same way - but contractions hurt so bad for me I begged for anything - and I was sooo scared to get the needle in the back ---- when it came down to it - I would have taken anything ---- a little poke for a few hours of less pain --- although they had to turn epi drip off cause I could not tell if I was pushing --- and that was not good - cause I needed to feel the push to get my little girl out. RELAX --- everything will be ok - just listen to your nurses and think of the light at the end of the tunnel --- when you get to hold your precious little one!!!!!
    Sherri0521

Answer by Sherri0521 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• There's no need to be afraid, your body knows what to do. You need practice relaxation and to visualize yourself as strong and capable because you are. Don't rely on the epidural -- they don't always work for everyone and there are risks involved that you need to consider seriously.

Here is a website with a reasonably priced (downloadable) hypnosis series. http://www.birthingthroughhypnosis.com/ Dont' dismiss it just becaues it is hypnosis. Self-hypnosis is MERELY a mental focusing that allows you to relax. The less stress, the less pain, the less pain, the more relaxed, the more relaxed the better things will go. Also look into birth positions (positions you may not be able to use if you get an epidural) that give the most relief, and relaxation. Flat on your back is NOT a good idea. Also, partner massage and water. You can read "The thinking woman's guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Labor is a big thing! Of course you're scared! Have you taken any classes to prepare yourself? You're going to have to deal with some contractions before you get an epi, if you plan to get one. Once you get it, it really does take the pain away. By the end of my labor, I was feeling pain with the contractions, but I think that was due to my back labor.
    amileegirl has some great suggestions. I would definitely have a backup plan in case you can't get an epi, work on Lamaze or something. Again, you will have to deal with some pain and contractions before they will give you an epi, and it may not work for you, so get yourself prepared for that. Get a good support system around you, too. It will help to have encouragement in your time of need, and it will allow you to relax a bit between contractions. I promise you'll make it through! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009