If you home school in california...

My daughter is currently two months old so I know I have a while before schooling becomes an issue but I have several questions NOW...Do you need a high school diploma to home school your child in california? At what age can you start legally homeschooling your child because id like to start asap...do you have to but all the special books and how much do they cost? Will I have to buy new books each year? If so Could I just buy all the books at once if I wanted to and if I had the money. Do I need to give her "home work" which doesnt seem like it would make sence...and if theres anything else im leaving out feel free to comment...please ONLY answer if you KNOW the answer dont just guess and assume I need the truth and only the truth!

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 3:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in

• You are getting way ahead of yourself. The mandatory school age in California is 6. In the next 6 years a lot could change. In general you have a lot of options when you home school and the state has little control over what you do. In Indiana where I home schooled my children all I had to do was keep attendance. When they were teens all I had to do was say they graduated. It equaled a high school diploma. One of my sons opted to take the GED.

We now live in Arizona and there are distance learning programs home schooling kids can do. With so much on the computer and so much being added you won't have to buy books.

You might like to read some things you can find online by John Holt about home schooling. Mothering.com has info on home schooling and back articles. There is also a discussion board.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• There is a great group here on CM called Happy Homeschoolers. It's a good place for advice and support. I believe they have a list of homeschooling laws in all 50 states. Check them out.

You can start homeschooling your child when you want. Many people homeschool for preschool, and you don't need to notify the state until the child reaches school age. There is no set curriculum you need to buy, you can purchase whatever you like or make your own. Homeschooling can cost as little or as much as you want to spend. Most homeschoolers are heavy library users and get much of their resources from the library. There is also free curriculum online.

P.S. ALL work is homework ! LOL

Good luck!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• haha I know all work is homework which is why handing her a paper and saying "heres some homework" wouldnt make sence to me and it would probably confuse the heck out of her to...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 4:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• schoolexpress.com has free curriculum and weekly theme worksheets from preschool to grade school. Right now just sing and read to her.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=CA
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• look into connections academy and K12. they are online public schools taught by teachers. You still need to give your kids the lessons but you don't have make the lesson plan yourself.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009