Would you allow a male daycare provider to watch your children?

Dh had considered running a daycare, but was told by too many people that they wouldn't allow a male childcare worker to watch their kids. So what about you? Would you allow a man to watch your kids?

Petie

Asked by Petie at 3:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• A woman is just as capable of physical, verbal, sexual... abuse as a man is. If the person has accredidation then they are a perfectly viable option as a child care provider. There is no proof that either a man or a woman does a better job. We are stuck in the mindset that only women are nururers and only men rape.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yes of course
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes, I would like to get to know the guy before but if I feel secure I would have no problem!
    I used to work at a daycare center and all the kids loved the male daycare providers!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Sure
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• No, I even saw an add on craigslist where a single man in his 20's wanted to watch children. I find that odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes, I would and have.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree with cat1622, woman can do just as nasty things as men can (hubby a cop- some stories you just dont want to hear!) Its just that the media only tells you when its a man- or a mom that kills her kids. The media in general is stupid and lies constantly (i mean full blown lies too- my hubby's stories and the medias so dont add up half the time). Men can run daycares- I would let my kids stay at one if run by a man. I would check out anyone watching my kids- male or female. I mean heck there are male teachers and principles, and male nurses too!!! Its just a mindset (that needs to be changed). I bet your hubby can find people that will leave their kids with him if you give good references and he is accredited (and background checked). FYI-People should check out sex offenders lists- they are females on it too.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Personally I hate day cares and refuse to ever put my child in one. I employ another mom to babysit in her home. I know there are less children there and she gets more personalized care rather than have 15 to 20 kids in a single building.

IF I did use a daycare though, the gender of its employee's would not matter as long as everyone was background checked.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• This is difficult to answer in some ways i want to say no and other ways i think its just fine... women just have a special bond with children.. it comes so natural for women to know how to take care of a child.. men have to pretend to care and pretend to play... when women, really care and are really playing with the kids.. hmmm i cant think of any good reasons though on why i would let a man watch my child.. why if there are women out there to do it... if he's trying to start his own business doing it, i would tell him to think twice... yeah it's 2009 but the mindset of mothers will never change.. i would definately pick a woman over a man, so sorry, i hate it but thats just how it is..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2009