Is fear evil?

I saw this in another post......"In my Christian upbringing I've always been told that Fear comes from Satan".
This heavily implies that fear is evil, but is it? Fear is a primal instinct that is needed for survival. How is that a bad thing?

beeky

Asked by beeky at 3:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it goes against nature to consider fear evil. I mean, fear is our best defense. Now extreme phobias aren't good, but fear is not, well, to be feared.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Agreed Petie, irrational fear can be debilitating and affect a persons quality of life.  Too much of anything can be a bad thing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I completely agree with you both.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 3:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It is evil when you lack trust in God. There is the defense fear but there is also fear of the unknown, and fear as in being afraid someone is going to hurt you.
    The kind that person is most likely refering to is fear that lends to not trusting in God.
    We also have Fear of the Lord which refers to reverence, awe ... not afraid kind but the in awe, respect, honor and revering Him as Holy and Almighty . It is not a bad thing.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• 2 Timothy 1:7
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Ive heard that too, growing up.
    Fearing good meant Satan was getting to you...something like that.

Nowadays, I realize its just part of being human...nothing more.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• AMEN Hinson!
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Only a fool is without fear.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• ITA with you Beeky. (Big Surprise huh) Let's say even if fear was from satan (or santan or satin) , Satan was made by God so wouldn't God still be responsible? But I do agree with Shaneagle too. Ususally fear in a religious sense is that of awe and reverence. To me just another human emotion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'll happily be a fool, then! Fear IS evil! It paralyzes and imprisons. My God is in control of ALL things. When I feel fear,I know it is not Him speaking. Anytime that I've done something out of fear, it has turned out to be the wrong thing. Being fear-less is freeing! Praise God!

Makes me think of my baby's favorite verse:
    "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." (Psalm 56:3"
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009