Does Anyone Have Tinea Versicolor any ideas on fighting it??

I have had tinea versicolor for 8+ years now and I am so sick of it. It is all over my shoulders, back, and chest and is even spreading to my face. Everything I have researched says it is not contagious, but the other day I saw some white spots on my husband's face and I am ver afraid my daughter will get it because my mom has it. Anything I can do to combat it. It is supposed to be a chronic condition, I am so tired of my skin being flaky and dry and itchy in the patches and spots. Plus I went to the beach 2 weeks ago and only got sunburned on the areas that are spotty, so it made the spots red and made it stand out so much more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Health

• Hi I was just recently diagnosed with having tinea versicolor, the doctor prescribed ketoconazole cream which I have to apply to the area 2x a day for 2 weeks, then after Ive completed the medication the doctor told me to use selsun blue the 2.5 % selenium sulfide 2x a week pretty much for the rest of my life... Since it is a chronic condition. So far Ive been using the ointment and i can feel the area tingle/ slightly burn which i think is a good thing. Ive done a little research online and other individuals have had success with different methods.. ex.. Apple cider Vinegar (diluted 2 tablespoon to 2 ounces water), Coconut oil (antibacterial, healing), Tea tree oil or manuka tea tree oil diluted in lotion or coconut oil at .5% ( 1oz 4 drops). Ive also read that some people have been prescribed Diflucan (yeast medication) and that it cleared it up for them, Im thinking about trying that next if my regime does not work. HTH
    vickipen

Answer by vickipen at 1:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2010