Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a law against this?

My neighborhood is not deed restricted but I was wondering if there is any way that my neighbors could get a fine or ANYTHING for the way they keep the outside of their house. Its decreasing my home value. All of their stuff is slowly making its way into my yard. I have thrown away their golf clubs, toys, trash, and now they have 10 huge pieces of wood that are half way on my yard & half way on theirs. To make things even worse, they have fires at night on that wood & let them burn while theyre not home so i put them out. They also let their dogs come in my yard and then yell at me because my dogs bark at them, their kids draw on my driveway with chalk, mess with my mail box, dig in my septic tank, and have tried hitting my dog over the head with a shovel. Their yard is absolutely disgusting, idk how theyre not embarrased by it. I cant wait until I have enough money for a fence

Answer Question

Asked by ericalyne at 4:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • You would have to call your police station, or sheriff's office as the laws seem to be different everywhere I have lived. In one place, yes, you could get them fined for it. In another (where we live now) only the fact that they enter your property without your permission could be used. So it is completely dependant on the laws in your area.

    Answer by Petie at 4:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • There is no national or state laws for such things only town ordiances (sp). As PP said u need to contact ur police station. Burning a fire though I believe is always illegal w/o a permit unless they r doing it as a source of heat or to make food otherwise they have to have a permit. I would simply tell them the next time anything ends up in ur yard its being thrown away & their kids r not allowed there period if they keep it up u'll call the police to say they r not watching their children thats what I would do.

    Answer by Mel30248 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • Mel, actually, that is one of the things about this place that shocked me. Unless there's a drought condition in effect, burning of any size without a permit is allowed. Of course, right now we live out in the middle of nowhere. I would think that in a neighborhood, that one would be illegal. Who knows though?

    Answer by Petie at 4:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • Call the police.

    Answer by DrJChappell at 6:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • I may get bashed for this.. but if it is absolutly disgusting on the outside, have you thought about the inside? Maybe you're best bet would be to call CPS.. But along with them I'd also call the police and maybe the local animal shelter (or whoever deals with animal neglect/cruelty) Because if the kids and pets cant play in their own yard.. it has to be bad.

    Answer by ballerina_06 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • Have you tried talking to them?

    Answer by momandvet at 8:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • I don't know what you would say if you tried to talk to them. The basics of decency and good manners should not have to be discussed; they're obvious. Your space shouldnot ever encroach on another's space. It's simple. You keep your kids, your pets, and your crap, in your space. As for what you can do, I don't know that you can do anything. You have to call your local law enforcement agency and see if they are actually breaking any laws. As for your property value, if there's anyway in the world, a large sturdy privacy fence to block out the unpleasant neighbors.


    Answer by peachqpti at 8:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • Best thing to do is call your local health department and ask them who to call. The situation you are describing can not only create fire hazard issues, but it can also attract rats and other unwanted vermin...Most zoning boards will come in and take action.

    Aside from that you need to take lots of pictures, make sure of property lines...and be sure to be the "bigger person"...if this would end up in court things will go much better if you are prepared and calm...

    good luck!

    Answer by LadyVonBostaph at 9:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Call Codes and get them to come out and look for violations. Nobody will know the laws better than the Codes and Regulations department.

    Answer by kc932 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • some cities have ordinances against things like that. Call City Hall and see who you would contact. My dd got a fine for parking her car with 2 tires on the grass in her own driveway! She moved the car over so her youngest son could ride his trike on the drive way.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.