15 month old and diarrhea

My son is 15 months old and has had diarrhea for 2 days now. He's been drinking plenty of water so I'm not worried about dehydration. Anyone have any recommendations on foods I can give him to help stop this? I've been giving him bananas and applesauce, but no improvement yet. He's allergic to wheat and eggs so anything with those is out and I haven't been able to get him to eat any rice. Any ideas on what else I can try?

Rachael420

Asked by Rachael420 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure about stopping it but my DD this pass flu season got sick & had diarrhea for 12 days! She was filling 10 diapers a day of it. I thought for sure there was something wrong but the doc said it was just a normal flu thing so maybe ur DS has this too? All I can recommend is gatorade which does the same thing as pedialite & is much cheaper to help keep him hydrated but u said u were giving him plenty of water so I'm sure he's fine. Hope things get better..... what about cheese? Doesnt cheese kinda back u up could give it a try.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would also try toast too, in addition to what the PP already stated.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would suggest the BRATY diet from Dr Sears (bananas,rice, applesauce, toast, yogurt) but with the allergies I'm not sure what to suggest. My Pedi said no dairy and you should stay away from things like sports drinks with a lot of added sugar. Also skip the apple juice and pear juice because they can make it worse. White Grape juice is better for diarrhea. I'd call your Pedi and see what they say.

DR. Sears site. . .http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081500.asp

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• He needs some sugar and electrolytes - like in a sports drink.

Sugar is okay in these scenarios, our pediatrician even recommended clear sodas when my girl had rota-virus specifically so she could get some sugar in her

- of course she was too young and thought carbonation was nasty, so we let it go flat first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• How about calling the doctor? That always works for me when my kids get sick like that and it lasts for a few days.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 9, 2009