Going to Washington.

On the 16th, I'm headed out on my FIRST NO KIDS vacation. OK so actually we are checking out an area that dh had a job offer at. But, I have never been out there. We are going to the Tacoma area (Ft. Lewis) and I want to know if anyone knows of anything I should really try to see. Also, if anyone knows of a good school so we can look at neighborhoods in that area. I have an autistic child, so schools are important.

Petie

Asked by Petie at 4:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Travel

• In and around Tacoma:
    The Museum of Glass, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, drive through Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park (and hike or bike, if that's your thing), Northwest Trek
    If you like italian food, you must eat at Il Fiasco! Yummy! Check out their website: http://www.ilfiasco.com/
    Other great places to eat are: Indochine (Thai food), Stanley & Seaforts (steakhouse), El Gaucho (primo steakhouse but very expensive), The Lobster Shop, Masa (gourmet Mexican), Farelli's Pizza, The Harmon Brewery, and if you like espresso drinks, Big Foot Java makes delicious white chocolate mochas!
    Oaksmommy

Answer by Oaksmommy at 4:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I live about 2 hours from there and I would say check out wild waves lol. Its right by fort lewis and is a ton of fun!! Great for kids also but I wouldnt mind a kid free trip up there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• WOW, thank you I'm making a list right now.

Keep em' coming.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• In Seattle - Pike's Place Market and the Underground Tour are both neat. The Crab Pot on the pier near Pike's Place Market has good seafood.

There is a Melting Pot in both Tacoma and Seattle. It's a fondue restaurant and it's pretty pricey, but definitely worth it. Go for the broth fondue, not the oil. Taco Time is really good for fast food tacos. Claim Jumper is also a good place to eat and there's one in Tacoma.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Oh yea Pikes is awesome. I leave around the Tacoma area as well. The Harmon on I think it is on Pacific Ave, has nice micro brews. There is a Tappen Yaki resturant in Spanaway called Samuri's really really nice place. There is Mt. Rainer if you stay on Moutian Hwy. If you go to Point Defiance there are wonderful places to eat there as well as a beach and five mile walk is like a small rain forrest. Oh and Freight House square is a really neat place with all kinds of gift shops and eateries, its close to the Tacoma Dome. I love it here. I hope he finds a great job. Welcome to "T" town.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Pikes also has the first Star Bucks there. It is close to the main entrance by the produce market. If you have time there is Orca Islands. Space needle is not too far away from the market. There are many ferries in Seattle that will take you on tours.
    In Tacoma we have many wonderful little resturants. We have a live theater district that is just off Pacific. Oh and again if you can get to the point defiance area eat at the...whats that sandwhich shop there when you turn to go to the zoo? I think its" Antique Sandwich shop". I think thats the name of it ... They have live music on Sundays. Usually soft jazz or soft classical. Lovely area there.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:04 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh one more event. In Buckley WA, not too far from Tacoma there is a Rennissance Fair at Mavis Farms. The hours are from 10-6. You don't have to dress up. Oh and its this weekend too for anyone else who lives around here. I think its 16 dollars admission to get in but if you go online its cheaper. Here you go

http://www.washingtonrenfaire.com/

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:09 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh and bring a jacket our weather can get chilly :)
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• We just moved from the Seattle area, and I like what all the pp's have said :-) Also, it's a bit of a drive, but going to Mt. St. Helen can be fun, and a really pretty drive, if the weather is clear. Plus, as cheesy as it sounds, just hop on the ferry and ride across, go out and stand on the weather decks and see the sights - even if you just ride across and back.

There's also really cool boat tours around the Seattle area - all sorts of them. Plus, if you like music and or Science Fiction, go to EMP. Just pay the extra to get the head sets though, because without them it's nowhere near as cool.

If you're military, I would look at MWR or ITT for tickets to these things - we got some pretty good deals from them for a lot of these places.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:26 AM on Aug. 9, 2009