why did you stop going to church?

I stop going to church, because I was tried of being told, that I am living in sin. I live with my boyfriend and we love each other. So many people at church say this is wrong, because we are not married. Does it really matter if were married or not. We love each other and have been together for 7 years. I also don't like when the pastor yells to get there point across. When they do that I stop listening to them.
I still read the bible and pray and worship in my own way. No more church for us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My catholic husband was told he would go to hell for getting me pregnant and marring me. Afterwards he was pestered by church and family when he would marry in front of God, like chapels dont count! They still send bills in the mail for how much we owe the church.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It's too bad that you go to a place for comfort and joy and come out feeling abuse or harassed.(Just one of my many problems w/ religion) I don't go to church, but I had to say that I am sorry you were basically driven out of your place of worship, simply for loving someone.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 4:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I can believe in god at other places to, I do not need to go to a specific building to believe!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 4:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The first time I left it was to find my own spiritual way without their programming. The second time I had emergency surgery and called the church and they said I'd have to pay the preacher to come to the hospital to pray with me (I asked how much for a phone prayer? They hung up on me and I was a tithing member!) That was bad enough but I told them my 3 kids were at home alone and to please make sure they had food. I had just gotten paid and my money was in the bank so they couldn't get it out. No one even bothered checking on them even though I lived across the street from the church. The third and final time I left was when my teen dd got pregnant and wanted to get right with God and tried to go back to church. They treated her like she had the plague and would not allow her around other teens. She was only allowed to go to classes and events for "married" members. I talked to the pastor & kicked he dust off my shoes, left

Answer by admckenzie at 4:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• because I went to a church and they were insisting that gays go to hell and I was like where the fuck does the bible say that? LOL I bet that pastor goes to hell for being so judgemental
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I stopped going to church because I got tired of the greed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• germs
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 4:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• In Feb. I had an abortion. I just felt horrible and asked forgiveness from God in my private at home prayers, but I'm not able to forgive myself. I just feel at church everyone would hate me and my choice. I'm afraid to be there in all honesty.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If your relationship is so strong, why don't you get married?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

Why do I have to get married? Do you really need a paper saying Your married.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009