what is the "parenting etiquette" at a party?

i go to alot of parties/functions with my toddler. some of them are for other kids, mostly older than him and some are get togethers with no children at all. (our son is always welcome, when he is not, i find a sitter.) so, i think i have a complex about letting him run around like the other kids...i feel like its getting worse. i dont want my kid to be the one that breaks something, like the screen door he kept sliding open and slamming closed today at my sister's mil's house. but people, including my sister's mil, are like, oh just let him go, he's fine. and at my house if a kid was doing this, i wouldnt care, because kids are kids. but my whole perception seems to change when it is my kid doing things wrong...is there something wrong with me? i am not overbearing in my own home, but when we are out, i feel extremely overbearing and just cant help it!

brodysmama23

Asked by brodysmama23 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am this way too. I am the first one to tell visitors in my home, Oh, they are fine, it's a child-proof house. But I guess when we are at someone else's house, I am concerned that he's going to tear something up or get hurt. He usually plays really well, but I guess until I have witnessed him in the new envirornment a few times to see that he really IS fine, I continue to worry & am probably overbearing as well. I guess it's normal. I hope so anyway! Also, maybe it's because, in MY house, I am in CONTROL, and in your house, I am not. Maybe that's what makes me uncomfortable and it has nothing to do with him at all. LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• your just over protective about your child...and you worry about his behavior my daughter is only 2 months old but I already know Ill be the same way...because most parents are...its totally normal and sometimes its better to be safe then sorry so you should continue being protective but maybe lighten up a bit because kids will be kids
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 5:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'm like that too. I just think that we are more comfortable when our kids are in our own house. If it would come to that my kids did break something I would offer to replace it. I also have them help clean up messes they make. I am always worried about leaving messes in someone else's house.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• They have to learn. Yes the children can act differently at home but if there is company in our home then its a different story. To an extent. And alot of it is COMMON SENSE (i cant spell today lol) When we are at other homes i keep my kids controlled with books or crayons that we've brought, doesn't have to be big, just something that you think they'd want to play with. When someone is visiting our home. They can pretty much do what they want except, yell, scream, cry, and disturb the conversation by continously asking for stuff while mommy and daddy are talking. OK the just let it go thing that OTHER people say, Well yeah........dont change your parenting style for that moment! No thats what kids count on, like you wont yell at them in public or something, UH no! They just have to learn whats aproved behavior and whats not.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• it's part of learning to behave properly no matter where you are and when he needs to be disciplined don't you worry about what the family says take his hand walk to the side an say NO threaten with a time out doors are for going in and out we open and close them yada yada speach... i definetly don't think staying home is the answer you'll go nuts!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• 1st of all I expect my children to treat some one elses home with the same respect they treat our home. If not more. If your child is doing an behaviour you feel in inappropriate then by all means discipline him. They have to know how to behave, even in public. That bein said it is confusing for him to be able to do certain things at your house, and not at others houses. That young the inconsitancy will confuse him.

My opinion, if my children are invited, then the host better be prepared for them. I will not restrict my childrens fun for anyone. If they are doing something that is unsafe or disrespectful I will stop them. Or if I see something breakable in my toddlers reach I will move it. But you cannot invite children and not expect something to get broken. Most adults will break something too.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009