Why do I get so aggravated???

Is it just pregnancy hormones, or am I not that great of a mother. My son is almost 27 months, and I'm 20 weeks pregnant... My son's bedtime is 9pm; however, some days h won't nap and then will go to bed around 7:30 or 8ish.. Today I wanted to take a nap, but he didn't. It really irked me because I couldn't get him to lay down. We come downstairs, he picks up his big boy cup and purposely dumps it in the floor. I just calmly say "JJ you know better then dumping your cup" and cleaned up the mess, when I really wanted to scream and pull my hair out... The past couple of weeks I've noticed that I get aggravated with him on a daily basis. I don't scream, or take it out on him, but I am shorter then usual... Growing up, I would get in serious trouble over the littlest accident. I've always said that I wouldn't do that with my own. An accident is exactly that, nor would I ever hit my child out of anger. What's wrong with me????

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 4:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is nothing wrong with you. In fact I applaud your self control. You are 20 weeks pregnant, that make hormones wacky, then you add in fatigue, and an almost 2 year old. There is a reason they call that time in a child's life "the terrible two's" .

Would your son quietly watch a dvd? I'm not usually one for plopping a kid in frount of tv but sometimes mom's just need a little break. My oldest was 2 1/2 when her sisters were born. They didn't sleep well for ever so when they did nap at the same time I would put on a video (tell's you how long ago this has been) and she would watch, I would rest but not sleep on the couch near her.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• nothing, your just pregnant and stressed. honestly, sometimes i want to scream and pull my hair out when my 2 month old son wont stop crying and he doesnt know anything at all compared to your 27 month old son so dont feel guilty. just do your best to keep it on the inside. try and do something to relax yourself like go to a spa for the day or something. maybe you need a break.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You want to be a good parent but you don't have the skills to do it. You don't know what being a good parent looks like. As your child gets older it is getting harder.

There is a great book Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary that changed my life. You can go to google and enter her name and read some about her and there are even some handouts you can print out.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• do you have a friend, neighbor or family member you can trade childcare with for a few hours a week?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Oh my, you have way more patience than me. I wouldnt allow a BIG BOY cup if I knew he was capable of dumping it on the floor. Its not worth the fight. My 3 yr old still has a cup with a lid because I am NOT going to continuously clean up messes that can be prevented. Your aggravated because hes testing your patience. Its normal and your pregnant too. I think you handled that very well. Its normal to be aggravated with him. Theres nothing wrong with you and you need to know that as he gets older, these types of issues will be more and more frequent. Three's can be much more trying than 2's and your son is not even 2 yet. Just keep your resolve to be a patient mother and if you lose the battle one day ( and you will) then resolve to get up and start over the next day with a new attitude. Speaking of testing my patience..my three yr old is screaming at me because he thinks I turned the tv...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Next time he dumps something out, make HIM clean it up. It won't be a great job, but he will learn that when HE makes a mess, HE is the one stuck cleaning it up.

You are pregnant, and tired, and dealing with a 2 yr. old. You are GOING to get frustrated, so don't be so hard on yourself.

We have quiet time, napping is optional, but staying in your room is not. We have baby gated them in their room (when they weren't potty trained anyway) so I could get some rest, during quiet time before. Sounds mean. But I had an 18 month old and was pregnant, so we did what we had to in order to survive.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009