Does breastfeeding slow your metabolism until you stop?

I have been breastfeeding my son for 10 months now and I still have like 20 pounds to go before i'm back to my pre-baby weight. I would like to lose more. I exercise, play with my son, and do housework, but nothing is working. I heard that 1 in 4 women that breastfeed their metabolism is slowed down so much that until they stop the weight will not come off.

djnaenae87

Asked by djnaenae87 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• thats weird cause ive heard if you do breastfeed you loose all the weight,but your body changes so much after birth who really knows,it worked for me but then i started sleeping in :(
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I breastfed twins and I lost ALL my prebaby weight by the holidays and they were born in october. I think it was due to the fact that I didn't eat as much as I use to(snacking wise) and wasn't glued to the puter so much(like i am now LOL) and that helped immensely because i didn't have time to snack.

Have you looked at your diet, is there something there like foods with more sodium in them that is making you retain water perhaps? And some juices are high in fructose too, check the labels to make sure they are ALL NATURAL and they don't just say it on the label. Some labels can be deceiving. I also drank lots of water, because of the breastfeeding, and i never use to be much of a water drinker before then.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• While breastfeeding I could not loose any weight even though I ate healthy - lots of veggies and fruits and no candy and no junkfood! My body just held on to the weight. After I stopped nursing I dropped all the weight without a problem.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 5:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Some women lose, some gain, some stay the same. All normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I lost all my baby weight :)
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 11:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009