cereal

when do u usually give your baby cereal? my son is 3 mos is it ok 2 start giving him a little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they say 5 months, but if he's still hungry after or shortly after you feed him his bottle I would mix a little in his next bottle and see if it helps. I had to do that with both my girls and they turned out just fine.
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Usually not until after 4 months unless directed by a doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I gave my son cereal at a month and a half old. Its really up to you. Most ppl/dr will tell you to wait til 6 months but my son did fine on it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I gave my daughter cereal when she turned 4 months old. (She'll be 5 months on the 11th) I started off with a small bowl in the morning mixed with breast milk, and breastfed her the rest of the day. Turns out she LOVED cereal, so I started giving it to her twice a day and so on and so on for about a week. After she mastered cereal, I gave her sweet potatoes, bananas and tomorrow she'll have squash :) Just start your son off with a little and he'll let you know if he's ready or not. Good luck
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Really rkoloms? Are you a nutritionist? (not being rude, just honestly curious)
    I shared a banana nut muffin with my 7 month old this morning. And she eats wheat all the time. Really she gets a taste of whatever is on my plate unless it's extra spiced up.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• *** withing reason.

Forgot to add that to the end. :-)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• ******** within

geez I can't type today!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• normally formula fed babies can start around 4 months and breastfed around 6 months. with my dd we waited til 4 months but the twins (almost 3 months) are already on cereal per DRS order.
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• not until after they are 4 months old unless you are told to do so by your family doctor...so wait at least a month before u try it
    nevaehsmomma83

Answer by nevaehsmomma83 at 4:27 AM on Aug. 9, 2009