32 weeks. Had a pap yesterday

My cervix feels very sore and I'm also having cramps. I never felt like this after a pap. The dr. was not gentel at all!! Did you ever feel like this after a pap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes the doctor feels the need to get a sample from a place that makes it hurt more. I had cervical cancer. For the first few years after they would get the brush thing and go way up to get a really good sample. It would hurt and I would spot and cramp.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Why on earth did your doctor do a pap smear NOW? Why couldn't it wait until after you give birth? If you were going to have any further testing or treatment for something you'd likely wait anyway. Besides, during pregnancy there is a high chance of the test coming back abnormal. And if that doctor left you sore, I wouldn't let him touch you again. There is no need for that.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• umm they might have scraped your membranes which would make you feel that way but im sure they would have told you and it makes no sence or them to do that now because they generally only do that when your over due...or they could have checked to see if you were at all dialated which if they werent very gentle may make you feel that way...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 6:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I thought my water was leaking. So he did a "pap" and swabbed for lab tests. He also checked to see if I was even dilated. But all was no. Just been cramping since than. -OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• An easier way to test yourself to see if you are leaking is to pee and have an empty bladder, then assess where the leak was coming from (squatting helps). A leak from your vagina is going to feel different. He didn't have to irritate your cervix before making a simple observation. Furthermore, he should have disclosed to you about the cramping (and I would make a complaint about the roughness). He also should have told you that sometimes a small tear develops in the amnion that can leak a little, but it self-heals and is not a concern.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:31 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree what he did was weird for sure. if you stay with this doc make sure to have someone help you advocate for yourself and understand and agree before being touched.

Quotes are around the word pap in your second comment. It might be a good idea to find out what the lab tests were for. That's more unusual in a normal pregnancy than normal.

Blessings on NEW Baby - the world will so be nicer!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2009