Does anyone else's kids cry over certain songs? Weird...Please read on...

When my son was an infant it was Rock-a-bye baby...like 10 months old a people would sing it to him...he would burst into tears just bawling.

Now my son is almost 9 and my daughter is 5 ... I used to sing the song... Good Night sweetheart well the time has come... so last night I go to tuck my son in and decide out of the blue to sing it...he curls up in a ball and bursts into tears.

So this morning I sing it to my daughter she starts screaming please no not that song I don't wanna cry... lol...I know mean to laugh but I can't help it...if you ask them why they can't tell you, they don't know just makes them cry.

So does anyone else's children do this...or are my children even more strange than originally thought? LOL

KaylasMiracle

Asked by KaylasMiracle at 5:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Both of my daughters used to cry over the song "You are my Sunshine". They were okay with the first verse, but then tears would just run down their little faces during the second verse.
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 10:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• they must be sensitive,lol do not sing to me about spiders!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 5:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• lol i had this tape with songs on it that had my name in the songs, and there was one that said your gonna grow up and i was like 4 and i started crying and i was like "i don't wanna grow up" lol i still remember it its funny now
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My mother and I can't stop laughing about this...they used to do it when they were little...but as they get older you don't sing to them as much and the thought just popped in my head to sing last night...lol...she said thanks for the reminder he'll always have a spot in my heart with that
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 5:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my kids all cry for the happy birthday song....but my children have autism and birthdays are difficult to cope with, so we just don't sing it, lol...but even when it comes on t.v. they cry.

but I have to tell you about myself here too...when I was a kid, I grew up listening to OLD country....the song "please release me" made me cry....I hated it to the core and I could never explain it to my parents until I got older....Dad was a musician and that was one of the songs he loved to sing....and I felt if HE sang it meant he wanted to divorce my mother....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My son has autism too! He is diagnosed as Asperger's but I keep hearing that it may be pdd-nos...maybe that DOES have something to do with it...hmmmm
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 6:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'm thinking, in your son's case, it might be his heightened emotions/senses due to autism. Music works on the brain in ways we don't understand yet. It doesn't have to be the lyrics of the song that provokes the emotion...it can just be the music itself.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My daughter used to cry over Collide by Howie Day. Weirdest thing.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009