Sippy Cup Advice Part 2...

So, with the suggestions of other mom's - I went out and got a straw sippy cup. Same thing. He just gnaws/chews on the tip.
I know he sucks, because he eats the hell out of his bottles. ARGH.
He's 14 months, and I'm getting a lot of "shocked" looks just because he's on a bottle still... He was born 26 weeks gestation, and he had a few developmental delays... is this just one of them? Should I be adjusting accordingly?
How did you get your DD/DS to get the hang of a sippy cup? I've tried showing him how to do it. :[
I feel terrible.

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 6:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are some different things you can do with Tupperware cups.

Take a round seal (lid) for the kids bell tumbler. Using a hand held hole punch punch a hole in the plastic. Put it on the cup. The child can drink like this with the hole near his mouth. Or, you can go to the hardware store and buy aquarium tubing by the foot. Take your lid so you get the right size. It will be a tight fit. This is what they used at the hospital where my son was a patient in the developmental clinic.

I have a grandson that is just starting to drink and we couldn't find any of the lids with holes clean.
    My son took a knife and just made a slit in the seal (lid) near the edge. We put that edge towards the baby's mouth and it worked great.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• DID U TRY THE NUBBY TRANSITION CUP? IT LOOKS LIKE A BOTTLE EXCEPT THE NIPPLE IS HARDER AND HAS A DIFF SHAPED HEAD.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If he has developmental delays he should be getting help from speech, physical and occupational therapists. The evaluation and treatment should be free up until age 3. I think it is a law. They should be able to help him with learning to drink.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• He does know how to drink from a cup or a water bottle or what have you... I will follow through with your advice, however. He has a much better time with cups then with anything else. Thanks GailllAZ.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2009