I never had the chicken pox so if my child gets it will it be fatel for me?

I told the pediatrician I never had chicken pox and he says sometimes some people get it where its not noticable he says i would have to get tested to see if Ive ever had it and if not to get a vaccine like my kids did but since my kids got a vaccine do i still have to worry or no? he says they can still get the pox but it wouldnt be as serious

Jakesmom000

Asked by Jakesmom000 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Health

• i HAD THEM WHEN i WAS TEENAGER AND THEY WERENT THAT HORRIFIC, i MEAN THEY ITCHED BUT THAT WAS IT
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I had them when I was young. but I dont think its going to be fatal to anyone who gets it. If it was fatal to you it would be fatal to your child too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Would chicken pox be fatal for you? Is that the question? If you have a normal immune system there is no reason to think you would die from chicken pox.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• well there is a possibility, lets not set that aside
    your immune system is greater than your childs
    so if you were to get it all of the weaker viruses would be killed off, thats the virus that would have affected your daughter because of her weaker immune system and you would get all of the stronger viruses in ur system. But stay hydrated and rested and you should be fine as well as your daughter
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would go ahead and get the vaccine if I were you. For some reason, chicken pox is one of those viruses that are actually easier for children to recover from than adults, which is why doctors used to tell parents to expose their children to chicken pox and let them get it. No it most likely won't be fatal, but you will be more miserable and it takes longer to recover.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The only thing I know is that if you are pregnant you have to stay away from people with chicken pox and shingles. It's really harmful to unborn fetuses. When I was a CNA, I wasn't able to care for a resident who had shingles. The OB/GYN said that if I caught that while pregnant, my baby could have defects from them. I don't think a healthy adult with a normal immune system is likely to die from it though.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yes it can. i never had them when i was young and niether did my mom when my sister caught them at 10 years old our dr told us to stay away from her bc chicken poxs in adults and kids with weak immune systems can cause serious complications and death. I have never been vac for it either.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes it can. In adults chicken pox are nothing to fool around with. I had them at 23 yrs old and was very sick, ended up with pnemonia about a week after recovering from the pox. I would get the bloodtest to see if you are immune, and if not, get the vaccine. I had a very mild breakout but was very sick during the 2 weeks I was quarantined by the health department.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't understand why parents give their children the chicken pox vaccine. The immunity lasts for only a few years if aquired at all... and then the children, when they become adults, will catch the chicken pox when it's most dangerous.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2009