Does Curiosity Open Spiritual Portals?

I have been told several times that "spirits" are atrracted to curiosity in the "paranormal." For example, someone that is very curious about ghosts or spirits will naturally attract those things to themselves or even open doorways from a spiritual realm into our realm by their curiosity. What do you think?

What about objects that are known for opening communication with "spirits?" (ouija boards, crystals, divining rods, cards, pendulum). Do they have any power within themselves, is it curiosity that "fuels" them or something else?

Can things that create or intensify curiosity in the paranormal/spirits like T.V. shows (Paranormal State, Ghost Hunters) or computer games (or whatever else), invite unwanted spiritual activity in your home?

(I am using general terms such as "spirits" and "paranormal" because those terms mean different things to different faiths i.e. demons, ghosts, etc).

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 6:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• we see what curiosity did to the cat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• "What about objects that are known for opening communication with "spirits?" (ouija boards, crystals, divining rods, cards, pendulum). Do they have any power within themselves, is it curiosity that "fuels" them or something else?"

I am answering from personal experience before I was a Christian, along with my own Christian point of view. And yes, curisosity can open doors for the enemy (the demonic) to enter your life. As well as the objects above, but these are actually tools that are intended to open those spiritual doors. Sometimes it takes a while before a ouija board will work. That is because it isn't the actual board with the power, it is the demon that comes to talk to you through it that makes it work. But if you keep playing, you are guaranteed they will end up coming!!!

I also believe that certain drugs can open a door to a spiritual experience.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I think there's a difference between curiosity and purposeful interest. You don't need a Ouija board or a crystal to experiment and you aren't likely to have any conduct with spirits no matter how long you put your finger on the Ouija board if you're giggling and totally expect your friend to move it. For someone who feels that so much as reading Harry Potter or watching Paranormal State is inviting spirits, I would ask if someone pointing out a contradiction in the Bible is automatically turned into a Christian by default?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I suppose one could say yes to this. If spirits know you are wanting to try to communicate they of course will attempt to engage you. Any ordinary closet can be a "portal" if you will. Cards and divination tools do not have power within themselves that I am aware of. I've not had any problems with spirit for a long time. There was incidences when I was younger,but now that I am more aware I don't have problems. But as for unwanted spirit activity in your home, it does not need to be invited. I think that fear of the paranormal is enough to do that. If you are mentally trying to make contact you will, but it's usually intentional and shouldn't be done unless you are grounded and protected.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• As far as the shows go, I think sometimes they freak people out and then they start imagining things happening. But sometimes it could open a door for a real experience. I have had certain CD's and books that opened doors to the demonic.

One CD in particular was a very Satanic group (theistic satanism) and when my friend and I put it on to listen to it, my dog ran into the room and began growling violently at something on the ceiling. We freaked out. Then objects began flying around my room. I started hearing voices, and I began to fear that it was going to kill me. (I have never had a history of any mental illness or such things. I am not delusional.) I got rid of the CD and my parents prayed over our house and it was gone.

So yes, the demonic is out prowling for someone to deceive or torment. I make sure to be careful to not leave any doors open through which they can enter.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• And I also agree with NP, the intent is very important. As a Christian I do sometimes do some research into things that are of the occult, not out of excitement or intrigue but out of a desire to figure it out from a Biblical point of view. However, I do pray first and ask the Lord to protect me and not allow any demonic activity in my life.

Also, whether you believe or not a door could be opened. Even those people who were skeptical when we would pull out the ouija board, not intending to have a real experience, met with one.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Spirits are attracted to people who have the ability to sense or see them. There are many cases of people who have paranormal experiences in their home, they move and the new people who own the home never have one single experience. I think it's because they are not capable of having those experiences- the energy is still in the home and able to manifest, but no one can see it or hear it. Also, many times, that energy will attach itself to a person who is capable of recognizing it and move with them from place to place. They think every home they own is haunted, when in reality, it's they themselves who are haunted.

I think you are either born with the ability or you are not. It's not something you can learn to do. If you experience something, it's because you have that gift.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I like IhartU's answer. While I'm not completely certain that spirits and ghosts and such exist, I think there's more evidence for their existence than not. I've always been sensitive to such things, but I've never had a paranormal experience. My mom did when she was a kid, she said his name was Charlie and he would rearrange the figurines on my grandma's shelves. Great, now I'm freaked out every time I go to my grandma's house. I always make sure to say hi to Charlie, though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• OMG Cait, my old best friend Donna, told me a freaky story once about a "guy" named Charlie!!!!

Now this is what she said happened. Apparently her older sister Michelle had an "imaginary friend" growing up, named Charlie. Over the years the family just thought it was her imaginary friend that she blamed things on. But then finally they started to freak out when they began to see doors open and close on their own, and stuff move around, usuall paranormal stories. And one day my friend was home alone and the phone rang. She was in her mom's room and picked up the phone and she didn't know who it was. He said he was Charlie! Then she looked in the mirror closet doors and she saw him standing behind her!!! And there was no one on the phone or in the room!!!

Freaky story, right? I wonder if they all like to go by Charlie, LOL.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I don't think you need an object to contact the spiritual rehelm. The spirits and ghost can use said objects if they are contacted but they can use anything to communicate with the living. I urge people to not contact the other side unless they are protected. Also, people should have someone with them who is experienced and understands how to ground, center and protect themselves. You can open a door and not know how to close it back. Again the can use anything, the objects themselves have no power only the intent.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009