I want to start making sure my kiddo is ready for preschool next year.

He is beggining to know some basic things and I have looked up activities to help him learn numbers and the alphabet and stuff. But I thought I would ask on here, what are some things other moms have done to help their child learn? I really need to start working with him more.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 6:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I made flash cards for my son with the letters on it. I took big index cards, pasted a picture cut from old magazines and newpapers with things that start with a letter (ie. a pic of an apple for the letter A) and wrote the letter on the card. I also bought one of those writing tablets for him to try and copy the letters and numbers on. For counting it was easy. I have him do stuff like help set the table....I need 4 napkins....etc. At the grocery store, I'll have him count the veggies and fruits we buy. This is a good place for colors too.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The whole point of preschool is to teach them the basics before Kindergarten. I wouldn't stress out over teaching him anything other than talking about everything you do...while your making meals, getting dressed, etc. When you go grocery shopping tell him the names of things, ask him what colors and shapes he sees, quiz him the next time you shop.

And just read to him about whatever he is interested--take him to the children's library, and have him select a couple of books that interest him. Beyond the book, try and incorporate what you read about in your everyday lives. Ie: When you see a dog, say "wow, that looks like the dog in the ____ book we read last night!" and so on!

Preschool will teach your son how to follow rules, transition between activities, follow directions, social interactions, waiting their turn, sharing, etc. Preschool should be fun and full of creative structured activities.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The best thing you can do for your children is to read to them. Don't force them to grow up so soon. Just spend time reading books to them and playing with them. That's how they learn when they're that young. There's plenty of time for formal education and it comes all too soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my dd loves to learn. she knows her shapes,colors,numbers, and part of her abc. i went to fisherprice.com also i printed out stuff and alot of repetiotion. we have one or 2 hours of calss time a day. she is 29 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2009